+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Semi Scrubbed

Okay - 2 days into second week (after clean and re- scrape)

Still only have the 2x24w T5's

Okay, end of week 2

Still only have 2x24w T5 daylights

Feeding 1/4 sheet nori, 1/4tsp spectrum pellet & flake mix & 3 cubes (mysis & brine shrimp with 3rd squid or clam)

7 days

skimmer - 7 days

PO4 (down from 0.06 last week)

Cheers

Administrator
    Good to the the P lower.

Okay - week 3
    Same details as week 2 only I had a fish death (large Zebra Barred Dart Fish) between 2-3 days ago.

7 days growth - The mat was darker and slightly thicker this week and the algae had to be scrubbed off - last week the hose just blew it off.

Skimmer for this week

PO4 up a little 0.05- I'm thinking it's the fish that disappeared this week that has done it.

Cheers
    Last edited by Snoopy; 12-09-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Grammar

Administrator
    That's probably as much as it's going to grow without stronger light.

Yes I think your right - ive ordered 20x3w leds (16 x 660nm & 4 x 450nm). I'm going to use some spare transformers i have lying around to make 4 led grow light units. From reading a bit on it, i'm hoping this should be enough light to replace whats there.

Not sure about covering them from salt spray as there is very little mist in this set up?

Administrator
    Almost none.

Snoopy, you are also going to need to build a switching power supply and ideally PWM circuits to power those LED's. Please give us a detailed build thread when you do this because there are not a lot of good build threads for LED's with completely DIY electronics.

Thanks for the info - ill post it here.

I'm not sure but i think what ive got planned will work. I'm going to cheat a bit.

I have several spare ac/dc converters from an Aquaray LED buy. They come with each unit and I also got the controllers when i bought them so i have several spare. I have already retrofitted 2x600 strips with uv and that worked so im planning on doing something similar with these units (albeit using the same heatsink & leads that time)

Here is what i did before - start to finish. I did this because my red corals were turning orange and wanted to try some uv to see if it would help (and it did).
    Also - The supplier helped me with lots of advice and safety tips so hats off to them. Im very happy with the LEDs too, they are a quality product and have great aftermaket support where i am. Id just point out that i chose to do this for my own reasons - uv in leds is point a source light that could do damage to your eyes (similar to an arc weld). When they can work out how to have a uv led and also keep to a safety standard i expect they will.

Cheers
    Snoopy

Well wk 4 and not much change. The algae growth looks the same and PO4 0.05.

I'm getting some cyno here and there too? Ive reduced the lights on period from 19 to 14hrs for now to try and combat this.

New leds and heatsink arrived so just waiting on some barrel connectors and i can start my new led build.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information