+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Design Advice

Design Advice

Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of designing a new Reef system in my home. The basic layout will be such as this:

120 and a 90 Main display Tank 120 will be a sps/lps Tank and 90 will be a softy tank

(4) 30 gallon tanks tied together for a frag system

all emptying into a 75 gallon basement sump

My question is how do I start to design a scrubber for said system based on a "normal" feeding amount, Im not even 100% sure what fish/corals I will have but I would like to have it oversized just incase. I have plenty of room to work with so space is not an issue. Would like to use led's since it seems to be more of a long term application with little waste.... to me changing bulbs every 3 months seems costly over just buying the right led's. However LED's are very very new to me and I have no idea where to begin.

I have spent some time reading the forum but am still lost so I thought I would ask. Happy to do some more reading that may explain it all better to avoid redundancy. Thank you for any help in getting me started and pointed in the right direction!

Administrator
    Welcome.

Most of your feeding will be to your fish. Probably 2 or 3 cubes. Unless you start feeding liquid coral food to the corals, in which case most of your nutrients will come from this.

Since you have room in the basement, you should size a scrubber for 3 cubes, and then build two more like it, so you can turn them on if you start feeding more. This is better than making one scrubber oversize.

Ahhh okay good idea. I read some more on the screen sizing ect I think I better understand that now. Does anyone have any suggestions for the LED side of it. I saw some screw in type led grow bulbs.. would those work if they are the right wattage ie 1w-SQ Inch or is that wrong?

Thanks again!

oh never mind I think I just answered my own question. 1/2 watt - inch for led.

Thanks

still welcome any other thoughts !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information