+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you overscrubb?

Re: Can you overscrubb?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    I've got to disagree on the half flow. I think horizontal's need as much flow as possible in order to create the turbulence that's needed to get good growth. High flow is needed, but horizontal's normally have low flow. So putting all 35 gph/in on one side should give it the extra push to move the water over the screen.
    Do you know that turbulence (assuming more oxygen) helps algae grow faster? If you designed a horizontal pan say 1/2" deep with slow moving water and lights above, would it grow algae just as fast?

Administrator

It would not grow at all.

Turf algae are the types that grow at the surface/shore, or slightly below, where there is a lot of movement and mixing with air. Some turf can survive in air and full sun for hours.

Yeah, I guess my calculations for a single sided are probably off, my scrubber isn't exactly horizontal, it's at a 30 degree slope. However, I do myself have nearly double that flow, and I've been getting good results. Just did a clean yesterday and the entire screen has a fairly thick layer of really dense carpeted turf algae that I have to scrape fairly hard to get off with a plastic card, coming off in large carpet-like chunks =)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information