+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double sided 12X12 Upflow Build - Would this LED Panel work???

Double sided 12X12 Upflow Build - Would this LED Panel work???

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully nobody has commented on these yet. I ran across this LED Panel on ebay while designing my Upflow scrubber.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/15W-Red-Blue...item3f1a8ba942

I know it's not high-output, but I'm wondering if they could be used on both sides of the screen? If so, what would be the best light cycle? I have a 160 gallon tank that I feed 6 cubes a day! I currently run a waterfall scrubber, but I'm building a whole new tank setup, so I thought I would try something new since the waterfall style takes up a lot of room. Any input would be great!

Thanks!!!!

Administrator
    Welcome.

They've come up many times. Far too little wattage for 144 square inches. For LEDs you want 1/2 watt per square inch, which is 72 total watts. Or at the very least 1/4 watt per square inch, which is 36 total watts if built perfectly. 2 of those would be 30 watts.

Maybe if you cut the screen in half to 72 square inches, and used a reflector-guide to channel the light down, it might work. But all the sides need to be covered and reflected.

So for high output LED's is that 72 watts per side or between both sides. After reading the recommended screen size sticky, it sounds like my 12X12 screen design should be plenty big enough for feeding 6 cubes a day. If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like I really on need 72 inches two sided. Is that correct?

On my current waterfall 12X10 Setup I'm running two 23 watt spiral CFL's per side. I'm feeding 6 cubes a day and am having a tough time growing nice green algae. I get a lot of dark brown gunky for the first 5 days before the green starts to appear. I run the lights 18 hrs a day. Testing the tank, Nitrate is never higher than 5 but phosphate won't drop below .25

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!

Administrator
    Wattage is always total for both sides.

6 cubes alone, need 72 square inches, and a minimum total of 72 real CFL watts, preferably 144 watts. For LEDs, a total of 36 watts, and preferably 72 watts.

You can see that your current one is underpowered and does not have strong enough photosynthesis to remove enough nutrients to get green growth. Your current screen is 120 square inches, and needs a minimum total of 120 real watts. You have 92. Doubling your current wattage would probably fix this.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information