+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting new tank. Help on scrubber sizing

Starting new tank. Help on scrubber sizing

Hello

I have been reading on algae scrubbers for a long time, and have found a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I have recently started a salt water aquarium 3 weeks back, its a 30 gallon tank with 20 pounds of live rock. The tank has been cycling and has just completed the ammonia cycle with ammonia and nitrites dropping off to zero. I plan to add only 2 clown ocellaris medium sized fish to the tank. But before i add the fish i want to build and add the algae scrubber to it.

My problem is , i have no idea how much 2 clown fish eat , i intend to keep them quite full on a health varied diet, but i don't know how much food this will turn out to be. 1/4 cube a day , a half or whole cube? If someone can help me figure out how much food i will be adding to the system i can appropriately size my scrubber.

Thank You

Banned
    The minimum suggested size for a screen is 6 x 4 inch, and lit from 1 side this is enough for 1/2 cube and lit both sides for 1 cube. I would light it both sides though.

Edit - OOPS, sorry for giving the wrong screen minimum (should be 4 x 3 as SM points out in the next post)

Administrator
    Welcome.

That would be 3 X 4 inch as a minimum (same as HOG.5).

Question is how much two clowns eats.

Im thinking of making a screen 9x4 inch (largest size that i can install above my tank) lit from one side. I have a 90W cfl spiral , even though its overkill for a screen this size, is it possible to use it in favor for a shorter lighting duration?

I have 3 fish . Size like small clown. 1 cube they consume in a week. Fastest.

Administrator
    90 equivalent watts is about 17 real watts. A 9X4 screen needs at least 36 real watts.

90 real watts 300 something equivalent.

Sorry 480 odd equivalent if memory serves me right

Banned
    Muffadal you didnt say how much you where going to feed. Why are you going with such a big screen?

Administrator
    Get rid of that light and get a 33w CFL floodlight, 2700 or 3000k "warm" or "soft"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information