+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrubber size new guidelines?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    The doc's tank is a 144 and not really heavily stocked right now, and I am noticing that the turnover rate of a 6" wide screen may not be enough, I am staring to get some algae growth in the tank. I believe there is another factor that needs to be taken into account and that is the relationship of tank volume to scrubber turnover rate.
    Yes im tracking the same thing I think bigger tanks need longer scrubbers. And also ask any of the old guide lines ussers that have long scrubbers if they are having this issue I bet the answer is no.

Banned
    I posted this on the phosphate thread but it's more appropriate here

He's saying there needs to be a balance between

1) the size of the screen, which is feeding based, and
    2) the width of the screen in combination with the flow rate compared to the actual water volume of the system.

It could be possible to have too much flow per linear inch of screen width, so there is a limiting factor there.

Take it to the extreme. A 1000 gallon system that is only fed 2 cubes/day. Screen is 6" wide x 4" tall. Flow per guideline is 210 GPH. Let's say it's 250. That's only 1/4 of the system turned over the screen per hour. Compare that to a 100g system and that's 2 turns/hour. On the old guideline, a 100g system running a SM100 used a 20" wide screen @ 700 GPH. That's 7 turns/hour over the screen.

I think the new guideline is appropriate for feeding rate size basis, however there very well may be a factor for turnover rate that has not really been considered, and this affects all types of scrubbers.

Administrator
    Turnover has more importance when the nutrient flux is high, so that they get to the scrubber before touching too many things in the display.

Good news. This week I ran a test on GPH on my L2 here is what I did.
    I turn my ball valve to full open and pretty much max out the L2 GPH ratings since the water level was about 1/2 inch above the false bottom and kept an eye trough out the week and I notice that once algae grows nice thick the water level started to decrase below the water level to normal operation ok keep in mind that im running my scrubber t off from the main pump which is a 1580 GPH pump so I dont have a clue how much extra flow im running trough the scrubber ok here is what I notice with the increase of flow and I also didnt clean it for 8 days what I notice was that the algae on the display is starting to dye off and quick im going to run it for an other week lije that and see if it keeps getting better. Also there was no sings of dye off on the screen so how do we know that tge 7 day apply to scrubbers with leds maybe we can run the led scrubbers for maybe 10 days. Also im gonna try to run the L2 of a mag 5 and see if I can replicate the flow I get with my main pump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information