+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting to clean?

Starting to clean?

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and post a few initial questions. I have been lurking these forums and others and decided to build a scrubber of which I will post pics after its complete. I have a 29g (standard) for my display tank and have just yanked out my 20g sump. I am building a waterfall scrubber and using a hefty 13 gallon trashcan as my new scrubber/sump. This will all be for a FOWLR with the possibilities of some softies (I have never done corals) in the future. Here is my plan and questions

1. My livestock will consist of a fumanchu lionfish and valentini puffer. Both fish have big bioloads.
    2. This is a brand new setup with brand new DRY rock (50lbs)
    3. I have an RODI unit should I use it from the start or just use tap?
    4. I have bought (2) clip on lamps from depot that have the 10.5" reflectors and a 4 pack of 23w spiral cfl's. I plan on lighting a 8x8 screen with 23w on each side with bulbs about 4 inches from screen. The scrubber will be fed directly by my overflow drain. This scrubber will be my ONLY source of filteration. I may add a BRS carbon reactor in the future if I feel its needed.

Q1. How long should I have this system up and running before I add fish and why?
    Q2. Rodi from the start?
    Q3. Anything you guys feel I am missing or should do from the start?

Thank you all for reading and I look forward to hearing from you. I am really excited about this DIY project

Administrator
    Welcome.

Go ahead and get used to using the rodi since you have it. Use the scrubber from the start, bulbs should be "warm" or "soft".

Wait until nitrite (not nitrate) tests zero to add the first fish.

Being the only filter, split it vertically and clean one side each week. Keep some polyfilters around in case you kill the scrubber by accident somehow; they will help absorb ammonia while the scrubber gets going again.

Thanks. I will split the screen and seperate them by 2 inches. That way i will have (2)29 4 inch screens and stay within my 10.5 " reflectors. I should be able to post pics tonight

Ok so my first design went out the window or put on hold for now. I have built a simple hard plummed waterfall that is fed directly from my overflow. Due to actual flow rating I had to cut my screen down to 5 inches left to right and 10 inches top to bottom. The flow across the screen is perfect except it seems to only be flowing over one full side of it (vertically). Horizontal it is completely even. Will this take care of itself once i get growth? The screen is kind of wavy from me scraping the hell out of it for 40 mins.

Also I was wondering if I can just clean one side of the screen each week and rotate since it is now only 5 inches? I really dont want to split it if I dont have to. I also ordered a TLF media reactor to run carbon in just as a backup. Thanks for the help

Administrator
    Should be flowing on both side; I don't think it will get better.

Can clean one side at a time.

Its defiately because the screen has a slight wave to it. if I pull on the screen and straighten it out the flow is perfect. I also rotated my pvc tube a little which helped as well. If the growth is uneven I will make a new screen. Using 23W Spiral cfl (2700k) how far should the BULB be from the screen? I can get my reflecters to within an inch but since they are 10.5" the bulb will still be a few inches from the screen. Is that ok? Thanks again for the help

Administrator
    That is ok.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scrubberandsump.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	3751

Click image for larger version

Name:	scrubber.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	3752

Almost a weeks growth. Waiting to clean the screen is almost as bad as waiting for my tank to cycle.

Administrator
    Wait 14 days.

Is there a way to find out what date I posted this comment "Ok so my first design went out the window"...? It says 2 weeks ago but I am not sure how accurate that is. Maybe a Mod can look it up for me? Basicly I lost track of how many days I am at. Any help would be greatly appreciated

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information