+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting to clean?

Administrator
    The day should not be important at all. What matters is how light/dark the screen is before cleaning, and if there were any dead roots after cleaning.

The screen was very dark imo. It had a bunch of what looked like dead roots and when I went to clean it I found almost nothing came off by rubbing it. I decided to put it back and not mess with it. Ill post pics in a few days. Right now my DT lights come on for 10 hours a day and the scrubber gets the other 14. Can anyone recomend any LED lights that screw into a standard E27 socket? I would like to consider using less electricity if possible. Thanks for all the help

Administrator
    Dead roots are light brown like wheat, and fall right off.

Ok these were black . Can I use an LED screw in bulb instead of the cfl? If so what should i look for?

Administrator
    And LED plant-grow light would work, from horticulture or hydroponic places. Half the watts of the recommended CFL watts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-31_13-19-17_968.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	3782

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-29_02-10-35_440.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	3783

Dont mind the pink bathroom lol we rent and have no control over it. Does this screen look like its doing ok so far?

Administrator
    Yes, let it go 14 days.

ughh...tons of bubble algae in my sump and hair algae in my DT. Ill keep pulling it out so it doesnt compete with my screen.

Screen is growing great since I cleaned it. Bubble and hair algae are all gone except for in my sump. The one thing that is bothering me about my build is the lack of mechanical filteration. It isnt causing any water quality issues but seeing a bunch of tiny particles all throughout my water makes it look so dirty. Any ideas on how I can add mechanical filteration to my sump area? I guess I can simply put a sponge over the intake of my powerhead but I didnt want to restrict my flow of my scrubber in any way. Another thought would be to cutom make a sock and attach it to a powerhead? Im all ears to any suggestions. Thanks guys

Administrator
    Since you don't have corals, you don't need food particles floating in the water unless you have anthias or chromis etc which eat floating particles. So any method to remove them is fine. With corals, you want to keep all the food particles in the water.

Real reefs, however, are full of particles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information