+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me plan my scrubber

Help me plan my scrubber

Hi

I have been around for more than a year, but register a few days and this is my first post, I'm from Dominican Republic, i have been reefing for about 1.5 years and the ATS have always call my attention, my tank have been really clena since the beginning, but in the late time i have been adding more fish and some algae have start to develop, nothing serius by the moment.

My tank is mixed reef with about 160g in the system including sump. I use prodibio for my system, and have work nice, but is kind of expensive to use and i want to go for a more natural route, so i decided i'll give it a try to the ATS.

My first plan was and UAS but i have work really hard to make my tank as silent as possible, and i don't like the idea of creating bubbles in my system, so i decided i'll build WAS, i plan on feed it with overflow pipe, here are my question:

1. I decide to go with a 36^2" screen, illuminated for both sides, I feed 1 cube of frozen, automatic feeder throw about 25 pellets 2 times a day and every 3 o 4 days i put some nori in the tank, is this screen size correct??

2. I'm goind led route i want to use 12 3w leds, 8 red, 4 blue, or should i use 5 red 1 blue??

3. About flow, my overflow is a bean animal design (for those that don't know i have 3 1" to drain my tank) this design make it dead silent, but if i take the main pipe for the slot i'm afraid it will constrain flow to much in the slot, am i correct??

And in this matter, my drains work 1st pipe work like a full siphon, this is the pipe i plan to use, 2nd pipe works half its capacity, should i use this??

Administrator
    Welcome.

For bubbles, remember that you will still need to remove the bubbles from the waterfall hitting the sump water.

36 square inch screen only needs a total of 18 LED watts (9 each side). I'd use all red.

Others may know the plumbing better.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Welcome.

For bubbles, remember that you will still need to remove the bubbles from the waterfall hitting the sump water.

36 square inch screen only needs a total of 18 LED watts (9 each side). I'd use all red.

Others may know the plumbing better.
    I was planing on doing a 6x6 screen, but if i only need 3 leds on each side, i think i should cange dimension to 4x9 this way i can get better coverage, am i right??

Ok, i re-read everything to understand this better but now i'm more confused, i don't plan on arguing about this because this really works, but something put my head into a spin, "If all 12 watts are on one side, it is a 1-sided screen. If 6 watts are on each side, it is a 2-sided screen";

If a screen have light from both sides isn't it doubling its grow surface?? if so why we cut light into half??

why a 12 sq.in. screen with 12w on 1 side is less efficient than a 12 sq.in. with 6w on each side?? i ask because 1st handles only 1/2 a cube while the other handles 1 cube.

If we split the light for the 2 sides why not cut in half for 1 side??

Administrator
    6 X 6 or 4 X 9 should be the same. Use 120 degree LEDs.

A 2-sided screen is twice as powerful because the roots stay alive for twice as long. So it need 1/2 total watts.

Thanks, now i have to experiment with the drain to se how it works with a slot.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information