+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 160 gallon Fuge system with UAS connected to 1000 gallon system

160 gallon Fuge system with UAS connected to 1000 gallon system

Would the principal work?

the refugium system will be a 3 compartment system with the 1st compartment being the UAS compartment
    the 2nd will be a macro algae section with the 3rd section being a deep sand bed.

the blue pipes will be 1/2" PVC pipes just to secure the screen in between. Red pipes are the locked PVC connecters glued to the bottom of the tank to secure the PVC hold bars into. The white PVC line is the flow line which will bring water into the Refugium system with 2 outlets streaming into the second chanmber and 1 controlable intake into the UAS chamber. Would it matter what flow of fresh water comes into the UAS chamber?

the 2 screen will be 6" x 6" each which would give me a screen of 36 SqI per screen and a total of 72 SqI of one sided screen available
    This should be enough to make get me a 3 cubes per day feeding (correct?)

Both screen will be fed with the air bubbles connected to a 5" long airstone each driven by separate airpumps.

Both airstones will be slid into a custom made acrylic device that concentrates the flow of the bubbles into a narrow flow over the screen

I am currently still undecided on what the lighting would be but most likely it will be an LED block connected against the outside glass which would fit the size of the screen.
    Both screens can easily be removed for cleaning from the top and could even be turned around after every cleaning to maintain growth on both sides of the screen.

your advise would be welcome on how to improve on anything or any issues I might have overlooked.

Administrator
    Welcome.

Consider waiting on the macro's.

Make a 2-sided scrubber instead of 1-sided. Use reflectors if you need to. Or put it diagonal in the corners.

Keep the scrubber at the top, not at the bottom.

You will probably have plenty water flow.

Your sizing is correct.

Drop the airstones and use bubble ports instead, or sliced airline. Keep light from hitting it.

Santa,
    Thanks
    What would be the advantage of a double sided UAS? I think the double sided one makes construction hard?
    Could I not increase my feeding possibilities by making the screes larger? Was thinking to go to 6" wide and 10" long which would double my capabilities right?
    To move the screens up would be only to avoid direct light on the air supply?
    What is a bubble port?

Administrator
    2-sided make the roots last twice as long, with same wattage

Larger 1-sided increases filtering also, but needs more wattage.

Moving screen up will make it easy to clean.

Bubble ports are holes in plastic.

Thanks
    think I will try the larger screen. or you think the actual height of the screen would effect the stream of bubbles?
    The idea would be actually to remove the the white PVC pipes with the screen clamped in between as it is just loose into the red PVC extenders.
    so easy to remove and clean at all time.
    Will be needing space to clean the glass to regularly I guess?

would these lights work or not strong enough?
    http://www.gtmall.com.au/all-red-225...ic-light.html?

Administrator
    Height does not matter.

Will need to clean the glass too.

Those lights are only 13 watts... not enough. Get 45 or 55 watt ones.

came across these lights they look very good?
    this is the description of the lights
    These lamps consist of 48 x 1watt high-intensity LEDs -> Red (30x665nm, 8x630nm) + Blue(6x460nm, 4xWh), at 60°+90°; they are designed to fit the colour spectrum required for plant growth, with a mix of 630 and 660nm Red, along with Blue and White, this light will give a very good results especially in the and fruiting stages.

The White LEDs, which have most of their energy divided between the blue(440nm) & orange end of the spectrum, as can be seen by the graph for the white LED light, the main reason we included these was that, they give energy to the 440nm chlorophyll peak & a sprinkling of frequencies right across the light spectrum, including as you can see in the orange part of the spectrum, that’s why they appear white, these frequencies appear to be like trace elements, as they are only needed in small amounts.

This light looks promising.

Do you have a link to that light?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information