+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post, new scrubber and more to come

First post, new scrubber and more to come

This is my first scrubber build. It is installed on a 90 gallon display tank along side a Reef Octopus Extreme 200 with a Bubble Blaster HY3000s pump and a 100 micron filter sock. This tank was purchased used, around six years old. The rocks were saturated with phosphate and have/had quite a deal of hair algae and bubble algae on them. Since acquiring the tank a month ago, I have cleaned it, added a lot of circulation (it's bare bottom until the algae is all gone) added more lights, a DIY ATS, the BB skimmer pump and upgraded a lot of the other equipment and then emptied the contents of my 20 gallon long SPS tank into it. With 50+ species of SPS in the tank, I was very concerned about phosphate levels from the old and neglected rocks killing off my corals. I immediately started running the tank on GFO and began a strict carbon/bacteria dosing regiment. A few days ago I decided to make an ATS to help combat the leaching phosphates and discontinue carbon dosing and GFO. The tank has been running at my house for about a month now. I have gotten tons of coraline algae growth and most of the corals are doing great though a few of my wild-caught acros did not take well to the transfer.

Display as of today:

Polyp extension:

Filtration:

ATS growth in less than four days:

I accidentally left the light on last night and burned up most of the nice green algae I was getting. I'm setting it on a timer tonight.

Livestock:
    Copperband butterfly
    Kole tang
    Blue/green reef chromis
    2x Glass cardinals
    2x Percula clowns
    Mcoskers flasher wrasse
    2x Fire shrimp
    2x Cleaner shrimp
    Brittle starfish

Turf scrubber construction:

The original light was a 23w 6500K CFL but after two days, I moved to a 40w 2700K CFL. The screen is double-thick. I got growth by the second day. Growth has been very green straight from the beginning. If there are any revisions which you think I should make, please let me know. I am getting great growth so far but I guess it could be better. I intend to make a true waterfall design for my 150 in a couple weeks and when the 150 is up and running, all livestock from the 90 will go in it so that the 90 can get a proper build with a by-the-book scrubber.

Administrator
    Welcome.

Looking forward to all the pics

Recent cleaning

Growth has never been better and color has been exploding! Here are some top-down pictures I took a few days ago:

Administrator
    Really nice.

Thank you.

Administrator
    Maybe could use a bit more light/hours.

I run it for 18 hours. I am due for a new bulb, bought one a week ago and it blew the very first time I turned it on so I put the old one back in. :-(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information