+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just completed new 7 cube LED Scrubber. What do you think? Also, question on pipe slot flow??

Just completed new 7 cube LED Scrubber. What do you think? Also, question on pipe slot flow??

Hey Guys,

I just completed my first LED scrubber. I've built a few CFL scrubbers, but never an LED. This one obviously looks a lot like Floyd's old design L2, but bigger. I went with a 10" wide by 9" long screen and 72 LED watts (8 3w Red and 4 3w blue per side). As you will see in the pictures, I left the bottom open to drain over my 20G sump. In my opinion, it's the best way to maximize water flow without worrying about a drain getting clogged or limiting flow. I have a sponge between the last 2 baffles of my sump before the return pump, so I don't really have to worry about micro bubbles making their way back to the display tank. My only issue I am having with this one at the moment is the flow coming through the pipe slot. Because my screen is 10" wide, I went with a Tam Rio 1100 which puts out about 400GPH at 2 ft head. I measured the flow with the bypass valve leading to the scrubber closed, and sure enough I am getting roughly 415GPH out of the screen. I throttled it back just a bit and dialed in the 360GPH which should be the right flow for a 10" wide screen. Unfortunately, all the water wants to V down the center of the screen...... The first and last 2" of screen are running pretty much dry. I cut the pipe slot on my table saw as I've always done and cleaned up the cut with a file and sand paper. I'd say the slot is just a hair under 3/16". This is the first time I've ran into this. Any suggestions or comments would be great!!

Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg‎
Views:	334
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	3656   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg‎
Views:	327
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	3657   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg‎
Views:	325
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	3658   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg‎
Views:	329
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	3660   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg‎
Views:	315
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	3659   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg‎
Views:	332
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	3662   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg‎
Views:	335
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	3661   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg‎
Views:	304
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	3663  

Administrator
    Solid build.

Usually if too much flow is coming out of one part of the slot, the slot is too wide.

Thanks for the complement! I put a good 2 days into building this one nice. From your experience, does dropping the screen pipe from 3/4 to 1/2 help at all? I was thinking that maybe I'm not getting enough fill in the pipe as you mentioned with the large slot. I was thinking if I went 1/2" it might fill better and cause the water to spread out. I always tend to go a bit bigger on the slot to prevent it from clogging once the algae starts to grow. Also, what would you recommend I set the light cycle too? I'm at .8 watt per square inch.

Banned
    Have you got the screen inserted fully into the pipe, or just into the slot.

Ya, screen is all the way into the pipe touching the top of the inside. That's the way I've always done it, is that not correct?

Banned
    That's how I do it also. Suppose you could fiddle with it though, you never know ! I also did this inside the pipe which seemed to even out flow a bit by causing a bit of turbulence inside the pipe; don't mention the turd, I know!

Worth a shot I guess. You don't think changing the pipe size will make a difference?

It looks like you might end up with areas that are lit with predominately blue and others that are lit with predominately red. You might want to add another 6 reds or so in the gaps between your current layout. Predominately red lighting won't be a problem, but predominately blue might be. The diffuser panel might help that some though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 88flaminchevy View Post
    Worth a shot I guess. You don't think changing the pipe size will make a difference?
    I've only used the 20mm pipe so any guidance would be uneducated, sorry. I would be tempted to put a breather hole in the top of the pipe, with an airline inserted, going into the sump (just to see if your getting an airlock) if your gonna scrap this pipe.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. What about light cycle? Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information