+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT is a CUBE?

WHAT is a CUBE?

I have hunted high and low.

What unit of measure is this infamous "CUBE".

It would be a great sticky or addition to the FAQ section.

Can someone please quantify "CUBE" in its various manifestations.

Thanks!

Banned
    I am guessing you have never bought frozen fish food, they come in packs with 'cubes' of food in them you pop out.

Administrator
    Frozen cube of food, about 3 grams (3 cc) each...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cube.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3681

One cubic centimeter equals one milliliter, and one cubic centimeter of water weighs one gram.

Thank you x 3........

I plan on writing an article analizing the dry weight and protein content of different cubes if nobody beets me to it. I think it is time for a more universal unit lof measure for food. (Grams Protein? Total Nitrogen? Not sure yet.) If anyone else has any ideas on this subject I would love to hear them. (Garf?)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    I plan on writing an article analizing the dry weight and protein content of different cubes if nobody beets me to it. I think it is time for a more universal unit lof measure for food. (Grams Protein? Total Nitrogen? Not sure yet.) If anyone else has any ideas on this subject I would love to hear them. (Garf?)
    Did some quick calculations when I saw this thread on Floyds site but came up with a number nearly double the rated size of my screen, so figured I've made some silly errors.

Ive used 45 grammes flake @ 6% moisture, 28 grammes nori (guessed about same moisture as flake) and 10 cubes frozen food all in a period of 5 weeks. I figured 1 gramme flake or nori is equivalent to about 4 cubes of frozen food. All this adds up to 330 cubes of food in 35 days, ie nearly 10 cubes a day on a 5 cube scrubber, and tests indicate slight reductions in N & P.

My screen grows 1.5kgs algae in the same 5 week period, and if we apply the 15% solids, rest water guess, then my screen has a dry weight of approx 225grammes dry weight growth in the Same timeframe.

Banned
    Ok, so nobody noticed that SM has based the guidelines on MASSIVE cubes, ie 3cc. (post 3). So converting this factor into my usage info it has now turned into a 3 cube scrubber, when it's actually sized for 5.

Banned
    3 cc? Have I been wrong for the whole time on this? That's about 1.45 cm per side - 1.45 cm ^3 = 3 cc

Banned
    Not just you Floyd. It's rather strange that you and many others haven't been corrected though. It makes a massive difference, as my figures show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information