+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT is a CUBE?

Banned
    Also on the sizing guidelines for 1 frozen cube equivalent it states;
    0.1 dry ounce (2.8 grams) of pellet food per day (2-sided screen)
    Which is quite obviously not right because it doesn't allow for 85% or so water content, in a frozen cube.

Banned
    Well actually, this means that the amounts of dry food as cube equivalents are actually more in line. I guess I never took the time to actually measure a cube tray cube, but I've always directed people to use this as a reference. So we're not all completely off base here, but saying it's 1x1x1 cm was indeed wrong.

Now, using this (incorrect) measurement (1cc) and tripling it, the dry weight of that food (subtract 85% water weight) is now probably closer to the touted equivalent amounts of dry food.

Administrator
    I mean 3 grams.

Banned
    In essence, everyone who has calculated their screen size on the 1cm frozen cube, is running a screen 3 or 4 times to big. And those who calculated 2.8grammes dry food as 1 cube of 3 grammes frozen, is running 3 or 4 times too small. And those that calculated 2.8grammes dry food as 1 cube of 1cm frozen, is running a screen 9 to 16 times too small. What a mess.

Administrator
    No the sizes are based on observation, not conversions.

For what it's worth, I recently opened a new 300-gram jar of NLS 1mm pellets and started scooping them out 1 level teaspoon at a time into a bowl. I ended up with 112 teaspoons, which equals about 2.7 grams per teaspoon. So allowing for some error and differences in measuring spoons, we can say a teaspoon of the 1mm pellets is between 2.5 and 3 grams.

I just purchased a HOG .5, and I was a little surprised at how much food 1.4 grams is. It makes me a little worried that I'm not feeding my screen enough to grow properly.

I'm completely confused, perhaps because I'm reading this before coffee, is a cube in a standard blister pack the cube we are supposed to be basing our feeding off of or not?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by data_loss View Post
    I'm completely confused, perhaps because I'm reading this before coffee, is a cube in a standard blister pack the cube we are supposed to be basing our feeding off of or not?
    Depends on the cube weight. 1 cube (for sizing purposes) is about 3 grammes.

Just looked at each of my blister packs. All are 100 grams, most have 35 cubes in them, some have 32, so close to 3 grams. So if I'm understanding everything correctly I should be more careful with pellets however as 2.7 grams of pellets is really far more nutrients going into the tank than 3 grams of frozen, which is mostly water.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by data_loss View Post
    Just looked at each of my blister packs. All are 100 grams, most have 35 cubes in them, some have 32, so close to 3 grams. So if I'm understanding everything correctly I should be more careful with pellets however as 2.7 grams of pellets is really far more nutrients going into the tank than 3 grams of frozen, which is mostly water.
    Sounds right to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information