+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Scrubber Build What to Change

My Scrubber Build What to Change

Hey Guy/Gals,

I just build my scrubber and about to turn it on.
    What do I need to change before I make everything wet?

Here is what the secs are.

System: 180 gal display, 60 gal display, 55 gal refug/sump
    Feeding: 5 cubes a day
    Screen Size: 15inchs wide x 9inches tall (I have it broke into two peices so I can clean them every other time once going)
    Light: 4 x 23watt CFL with reflective shroud. I know it recomended 18 hours on 6 hours off. Should I start with that and see how it goes?
    Flow: Will have atleast 35gph per inch just have to dial in my pump.

I know that my light to screen size is not correct. Reason I did this as I only feed 5 cubes.
    But to get the light to fit correctly I oversized the screen.

That is where I think I need suggetions if any.

Here are a few pictures.

Thanks,
    Cole

Banned
    Personally, I would change both the container and lighting. The container will act as bio-pellets because it is plastic, bacteria will eat it, and in turn usually making a huge cyano mess. Lighting to LEDs for obvious reasons.. cost. Little more $ up front but MUCH cheaper in the long run when you account for power usage and bulb replacement.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature
    The real surprise is the red line of Fig. 11; it documents the substantial increase in bacteria/mL for a control water sample that was not treated with EtOH. We simply removed about ½ gallon of water from the tub at the beginning of the experiment, and placed it in an open Tupperware container under fluorescent room lighting. This control portion of tank water was sampled for bacteria content daily just like the EtOH-treated larger tub water sample. Remarkably enough, the bacteria population in this control sample experienced a slower but still significant rise, increasing to a maximum of ~ 27x the original level after 3 days. What is fueling this bacterial growth? Since we have already determined that the bacteria population in this aquarium water sample is carbon limited, it seems reasonable to hypothesize that the Tupperware vessel itself is providing a metabolizable source of carbon!

These observations prompted a more direct examination of the actual Rubbermaid tub's capacity to contribute to bacterial growth - maybe the Tupperware vessel was unusually contaminated with organics. In this experiment, we removed a 30-gallon water sample from the KSF aquarium and transferred it to the uncovered Rubbermaid tub, as described previously. Water circulation was provided by powerheads but otherwise the system remained undisturbed. Water samples were withdrawn daily for 5 days, and the bacteria/mL counts are displayed in Fig. 12. Clearly, the tub itself (or organic material coating it) is providing a suitable carbon source for bacterial growth. The bacterial population rises some 26x over the initial value over 2.3 days, before declining slightly; a rationale for the burst in bacteria population at day 5 cannot be offered at present.
    This was my first scrubber, obviously not built very good and I learned many lessons from it, but one of the biggest things I learned was never use a rubber maid tub on a reef tank. I had to completely empty it and scrub it clean every week... not talking the screen, talking the entire container.

Administrator
    Might as well use what you have since it is set up. Lighting is weak, with 92 watts for 135 square inches. Yes 18 hours.

If you did not clean the container, you'll want to scrub all the mold release wax (organics) off of it.

Ace25, I totaly agree with what you said my plan was to use a 10 gallon aquarium. But I think I may try a 40 gallon aquarium when Petco runs there dollar sale, that or I may try my hand at acylic and build a custom one. LEDs I agree are the way to go. Just had all the stuff around so thats why I used them.

SantaMonica, I agree light is weak. I am going to redo my spray bar and make it so I have two 5inch by 9inch screens with one light on each side and that should be better.

Here is my 4 day growth pictures. Is there something I should change? The algae is really brown and kinda looks a little stringy. I also think I may have two much light at the main point of the light. What do we think?

Thanks,
    Cole

Administrator
    I think more flow will help a lot.

Ok turned the flow up. I may need to cut the slot a little bigger. Is there such thing as to much flow on a scrubber?

Administrator
    Not really.

Ok, So I did a bone headed move. I had to adjust my return pipe from my container to help control some micro bubbles. I left everything off for about an hour so I could replumb a little bit and thoght all was ok... Well... It was not turned out the algae dried up and now its starting back over. Been a day and looks like I have some growth back so not a complete restart but a speedbump.

Administrator
    Will grow back quicker.

Your right it did grow back alot quicker and not only that its alot thicker.
    This is total count day 7. Anything look wrong?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information