+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone selling scrubber for a nano cube 28? Or easy build that would fit in back with plans?

Is anyone selling a scrubber that would fit in the back compartment of a Nano Cube 28?

Is anyone selling a scrubber that would fit in the back compartment or in one of the media basket compartments of a nano cube 28? The Santa Monica UAS is a little too wide?

Or....does anyone have plans for an easy build that would work?

Thanks, Doug

P.S. Great discussion board. Scrubbers seem like such a great but underused idea.

The 28 g. JBJ nano cube has a media basket in back with compartments and a glass back wall so you can shine a light iike the JBJ nano glo led from the back into the compartment.

Is anyone using the media basket to create a scrubber OR any thoughts about how this could be done?

You can't just use the flow of the water downward through the basket across a screen, right? It has to have bubbles across it or air contact, correct?

hang a screen inside the basket with a air diffuser wand on the bottom. Use one of those plastic feeding clips at the top to hang it and hold it in place 1/4 inch from glass. Put RED LED light on the outside shining in. - instant upflow scrubber. The size of your screen depends on how much you feed.

If you have room behind the tank, you could also shine in 28 Watt CFL bulb with a reflector instead of the LEDs. If you look around on this site you may also find other ways of doing the lighting that may work or fit.

The Nano Glo light seems underpowered for an Algae Scrubber. It only puts out 4 Watts of light, or equiv of 8 Watts on a CFL bulb. The HOG .5 kit that Santa Monica sells has enough Wattage for 1/2 cube of food per day and could be modified to use with your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by rleahaines View Post
    hang a screen inside the basket with a air diffuser wand on the bottom. Use one of those plastic feeding clips at the top to hang it and hold it in place 1/4 inch from glass. Put RED LED light on the outside shining in. - instant upflow scrubber. The size of your screen depends on how much you feed.

If you have room behind the tank, you could also shine in 28 Watt CFL bulb with a reflector instead of the LEDs. If you look around on this site you may also find other ways of doing the lighting that may work or fit.
    Thanks for the responses. If I put the upflow scrubber in my media basket, the screen would be at least 3/4" away from the light on the outside glass of the tank. I'm thinking instead about doing something similar in the space between the media box and the back glass. This space is about 4 1/2" wide and about 1" from the back glass of the tank to the media basket (and the water is about 12" deep or so in this compartment). The water in this area, however, does not move much. The flow of the water goes through the media basket and to other chambers. Is it OK if there is not a lot of flow of water in this area where I'm putting the screen? Is the bubbler enough to create the flow?

Also, if I hung a screen in this area, it would not be just kinda be hangining in this area and not surrounded by a plastic housing or anything like the Santa Monica UAS or many other models. Is this OK or should the screen have a housing around it for some reason other than just the walls of this compartment of this tank?

Any ideas for an easy light to mount for this application that would fit in the small 3" space behind my tank? Would the 28 Watt CFL fit?

Does anyone have a good photo or video example of the type of setup that Rleahaines is talking about?

Hi,

I have the same tank and have been thinking about trying an ATS in it too. My question is here:
    http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...J-28g-scrubber

You can see pictures of someone running a single sided countercurrent algae scrubber back there on their JBJ 28g at reef central at:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2240746

I obviously haven't tried it yet, but I'll give my peanut gallery opinions on your questions:
    I think it's ok with the stock pump return flow, I think it even might work without the bubbler.

I don't think you need a housing, the chamber the overflow goes into is enough.

I think a DIY LED unit is the only way to go, unless your tank is backed up to a corner (instead of a flat wall).

The reefcentral post has a decent picture.

Thanks, Kenneth.

look at this one

You guys may want to look the ATS below on the nanoreef forum for a 29 JBJ cube.
    I am workng to make something like it and hope to get in place soon.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=299435

You could use any of the available waterfall ATS units sealed in an acrylic box and hang it above/behind the tank. I'm building two right now, one for myself and one for my cousin. Acrylic is rather easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Horse View Post
    You guys may want to look the ATS below on the nanoreef forum for a 29 JBJ cube.
    I am workng to make something like it and hope to get in place soon.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=299435
    That's actually an Oceanic biocube, but we're talking about the JBJ 28 nano cube. The rear sump chamber(s) are setup differently, and I don't think that waterfall type design would work as easily on the JBJ.

Using the JBJ 28g center overflow chamber to house the screen, should make it cheaper and easier setup b/c we don't have to deal with any housing fabrication or water delivery system.

Banned
    I have an hog.5 u can have. Just pay for shipping.

Administrator
    duganderson asks:

Thank you for your responses. I had a few more questions. Thank you in advance for clarifying some things. If I can get this successfully running in my tank, I’ll post details about it on the forums I frequent especially nano-reef (that’s a bummer that they deleted you from their forum).

I re-measured the back compartment in my nano cube 28 where I would like to put your UAS. It is actually only 4 9/16” wide.

1. I’m curious if you feel like I could trim it to fit and still make it work without wrecking the functioning.?

2. If I bought the magnet version could I remount the magnets to get them to work? If not, would you be willing to sell me 4 of the suction cup mounts I could glue on if I could not get the magnets to work? If so, how much would it cost for 4 of the suction cup mounts?

3. Which water pump do you recommend that is quiet and a decent value.

4. How noisy is your UAS?

5. I feed way less than ½ a cube per day. I feed more like 1/8 of a cube or slightly less per day in my 28 g. nano cube. Will this still work for me OR will I need to dramatically increase my feeding?

6. Why do you run the bubbler all day? Doesn’t the algae only grow when the light is on?

7. If I can’t get your UAS case to fit in my middle chamber, I was thinking about just hanging the screen down in that chamber with the bubbler but without the case around it. Would this still work? I would be hanging it in the chamber that is 4 9/16 wide, about 1” from back glass to the media basket, and about 12” deep. Is having the case super important for the functioning or do you still think it would work well.? Without the case, would I likely get lots of algae growth in other parts of that chamber that would be a hassle?

8. I’m planning to mount it in the back chamber between the back glass and the media basket. This area has water in it but not a lot of flow. Does the area I place it in need a lot of flow or is the bubbler sufficient for flow?

Thank you VERY much, Doug

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information