+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In (fry) tank, UAS, here's my sloppy picture lol

In (fry) tank, UAS, here's my sloppy picture lol

I hope this makes sense.

From what I remember, there are bubbler filters. Basically the bubbles flow up through the sponge filter, through a pipe, and the bubbles actually FORCE water to move upwards with it, causing new water to be sucked in through the sponge holes to replace the preexisting water... Creating a cycle.
    Like these:

Can I apply that theory to a scrubber?
    Specifically for my fry tank. My fry tank is a 48 gallon hexagonal tank. It's one of the wider ones, not the tall ones.

In the picture, you see an above view, and a horrible side view drawing.
    There's 2 panels of plexy glass. The first panel is only like 4", to hold the sponge up against the 2nd panel, which sits an inch or two off the bottom and top of tank. So water can flow under, and over it.

Bubbler and an algae screen behind it.
    Light shines through the back.
    The water will create a current that gently flows over the top of the 2nd plexy glass screen.

The sponge is just to help catch particles and keep fry out of that area. Open cellular sponge that I can just occasionally ring out.

Again if this looks weird, it's a poor hexagonal drawing on gimp lol.

The only CONs I can see to this set up:
    **With the screen being in a small enough space (small space to help create current), will that provide too much water/air/light mixture to the back of the tank and the 2nd large plexiglass panel? Causing it to grow algae too?

The pros are:
    **I can get color'd plexiglass to block out some of the red lighting Or instead of plexiglass I could use coroplast. A black coroplast sheet will block out most light. Especially purple from the 660s and 455nm LED mixture.
    **With the prefilter sponge no fry will be sucked in (this is a growing tank for my dovii and jaguar cichlid fry).
    **No sump will be needed.
    **The sponge can also serve as a mechanical filter for debris.
    **The fry can't feed on the algae - if they would?

I'd put the algae scrubber in the middle of the tank... The biggest problem I THINK I would have is fry eating the algae.
    Fish do that right? They pick away at it all day I hear.

I also think that, if the space is smaller, the air will stay on the algae longer because it can't spread out really, and it will be fighting water current to move upwards to the surface... So the bubbles might move just a little slower as well?

Biggest problem, is the algae growing on the plexiglass and tank glass... Right?

Banned
    I would use black ABS plastic so you almost completely block out the light from the fish. Light that bright and in those spectrums can cause damage to the fishes eyes, mainly the blue spectrum. I wouldn't put the screen in the middle for the same reason, you would have to shine the light into the area with the fry. Other than just using black instead of clear or colored, it looks like it should work fine for your purpose from your drawing.

Tap Plastics is where I buy my plastic from.

Wow good idea. I've seen that ABS before, it's tough. People use it in car shops I think.

Either way, thanks!

Administrator
    Basic idea looks good. You don't have to use blue. Overall size dimensions don't matter as much as a good lighting reflector, and rough screen. Algae will grow on the aquarium glass in front of the light, but it brushes right off.

The 2nd plexi wall is the backing to your screen. It should be covered by the screen

Good idea to keep the fish out ... the would probably eat the algae.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Basic idea looks good. You don't have to use blue. Overall size dimensions don't matter as much as a good lighting reflector, and rough screen. Algae will grow on the aquarium glass in front of the light, but it brushes right off.

The 2nd plexi wall is the backing to your screen. It should be covered by the screen

Good idea to keep the fish out ... the would probably eat the algae.
    I read somewhere here that the 455nm blue helps just a little bit extra. I read the results make it more leafy and grows a TINY bit better. 6.5:1 ratio red:blue.
    I already ordered the blue so, I'll try them out anyway.

Uhm, as far as the screen covering the 2nd plexiglass... Do I put it RIGHT UP against the 2nd plexi? To where it's nearly touching it?

If you use same small piece of plexi on top like you did in the bottom , that would stop bubbles from spreading all over your tank.
    Kind of baffle.

Administrator
    Unless you have light on the back side, put the screen up against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Unless you have light on the back side, put the screen up against the wall.
    Oh okay I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by kotlec View Post
    If you use same small piece of plexi on top like you did in the bottom , that would stop bubbles from spreading all over your tank.
    Kind of baffle.
    Hey good idea!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information