+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the Dinos

Got the Dinos

Not crazy yet. Hopefully won't be either. Has to be the sand I'm using seeing everything is from old set up but the sand. Came from a trouble free tank. Seen it with my own eyes. But the guy did use all kinds of crazy equipment so who knows whatI don't like all the treatment methods I've been reading. Too intensive. Going to keep the lights off for a while without doing the total blackout. Scrubber is getting good growth. It too is from old setup.
    No Dinos in the sump area or on the scrubber unless I blast with turkey baster. I do a rinse of the screen after doing a blast to keep it from infecting screen. So far so good.

Administrator
    Tank to tank transfer?

Even just flipping a rock over, or moving powerheads, will cause die-off of periphyton even if the rocks stay underwater and nothing else changes. Pulling rock out of a tank into the air, and transferring to a new setup, will surely kill and/or starve most of the stuff on the rock.

Starving will take about a month, and the die-off and nutrient problem will tank another. After that the dino's should leave.

Of course a good scrubber will reduce or remove the dino's.

Banned
    Have you got fluctuating pH ?

Yes. Tank to tank. Didn't happen last time I did it. Almost the exact same upgrade too. last was a 30g to 90. This was a 45g to 90. Taking it as a trial. Scrubber is a good one. Been using it for close to a year now.

Just tested water first time a few days ago. Dinos have been around for about a week. Thought I was going to have complete success since tank looked supreme for about two weeks. PH came in at 7.8ish same as it was before transfer. House has been closed up lately due to chill in air outside. I've been mixing up some baking soda and also adding part two of two part to bring it up. Unable to find lime water at Ralphs or Vons. Going to try Walmart or Staterbrothers tomorrow.

My reef keeping regiment consists of adding ESV two part and scrubber. Don't test Alk, Calk, Mag. Just Trite,Trate, Phos and Ph when I think of it. Generally base everything on how livestock is doing. Try to run scrubber opposite of display as much as possible to help balance.

Banned
    Hint - to increase pH, bake bicarbonate in oven for 20 mins @ 200c. This turns it to carbonate which increases pH.

I'm going to do that. Thanks

Banned
    I can get dino's to grow in my sump when I lower the pH to 7.8 but they go away again at 8.2. Increase it slowly though, added aeration should help also (saltwater equilibriates at normal Co2 levels at about 8.2)

200 degrees at 20 minutes. Does it matter how much I do at one time and then I can store it? Or does it need to be done before using?
    On a 90 gallon tank with about another 10 gallons in sump. What would be a good dosing amount? I remember seeing something like 2 tsp per gallon. Maybe that was for Kalk.

Don't know why this set up is acting different than the other. Fugured I couldn't go wrong having the same size as last. My return pump isn't as large as the last one though. Running a Q.O. 4000 instead of a 6000 this time. But my powerheads are larger than last to compensate for flow in the tank.

Just a word on the tank. This will be day two with no lights. Not doing a blackout. This tank is between two large windows on the South side of the house where it still gets light and the dinos look to be gone except along water line from where they got lots of light. Going to wipe them off. Sand looks good and snails are out and about.

Plenty of aeriation from waterfall ATS fed from overflow.

Banned
    Need to test ALK. Shouldn't be messing with dosing alkalinity components until you know where the tanks at.

Ordered a ALK test kit yesterday.
    Here are some pictures of the natural light my tank gets. And this is on a somewhat overcast day. I would think the dinos would certainly come back with this sort of light. No?
    This will be day three of lights off. Again. Can't find myself to cover tank to black it out. But there isn't any sign of them wanting to rear themselves. Probably safe to turn lights on again huh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information