+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How are you hanging your plastic canvas?

How are you hanging your plastic canvas?

So the problem I found with my setup is the zipties holding the plastic canvas. Water builds up over the zipties and as a result, gives more flow to that area than any other area. I have one ziptie on both ends. What I found is that I get a bald spot (little to no growth) in the center of my sheet, but the sides are growing green like crazy. I took a look from a sideview and noticed more flow is coming down the sides of the pipe. I also have saran wrap over the pipe(extends 2-3" inches down the pipe) to act as a splash guard to prevent water from squirting all over the place. I know that saran wrap slows the flow down the sheet, but I need this as a fail-safe in case water splashes all over my bulbs. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. Please advise.

Also, what do you think of the growth rate? Pics are taken 7-8days after the cleaning.

PS- I guess the easiest solution would be to add a 3rd ziptie in the center, but taking these things off for maintenance is a pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20121115_214608.jpg‎
Views:	272
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	3761   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121209_085530.jpg‎
Views:	273
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	3762   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121221_210632.jpg‎
Views:	277
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	3763   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121221_210654.jpg‎
Views:	272
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	3764   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121221_210659.jpg‎
Views:	271
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	3765  

Administrator
    Need more light on that big screen. Or reduce its size.

Although those big reflectors are almost big enough for the screen, the reflectors are not being used because the floodlights have their own reflectors; thus, the burn spot in the middle, and dark growth outside.

I'd replace the floodlights with 44 watt spirals; they'll make better use of the big reflectors.

Or, remove the reflectors and just use the floodlights, but cut the screen in half vertically and tape up the slot.

Banned
    Got 3 cable ties on mine, but the elbows that hold the slot pipe are a push tight fit. So to take the screen out its a simple case of pulling the slot pipe out of the elbows. Instead of using a plastic wrap, I've got a piece of Perspex bent into a "U" shape that fits over the slot pipe and elbows (which keeps it all secure), this also acts as a splash shield and slot shading thingy (to stop growth in the slot).

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Need more light on that big screen. Or reduce its size.

Although those big reflectors are almost big enough for the screen, the reflectors are not being used because the floodlights have their own reflectors; thus, the burn spot in the middle, and dark growth outside.

I'd replace the floodlights with 44 watt spirals; they'll make better use of the big reflectors.

Or, remove the reflectors and just use the floodlights, but cut the screen in half vertically and tape up the slot.
    I made a new slot trimming down the screen by a few more inches. Can you link me to the 44w bulb you speak of? I'm not finding that on HomeDepot or Lowes. I'll give this a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Got 3 cable ties on mine, but the elbows that hold the slot pipe are a push tight fit. So to take the screen out its a simple case of pulling the slot pipe out of the elbows. Instead of using a plastic wrap, I've got a piece of Perspex bent into a "U" shape that fits over the slot pipe and elbows (which keeps it all secure), this also acts as a splash shield and slot shading thingy (to stop growth in the slot).
    I'm assuming this is plexiglass that your heating to bend in the shape desired? I'm pretty limited with my handman skills, hence the very basic scrubber design. i might try velcro instead of zipties. But do you understand what I'm talking about when the water builds up over the zipties, giving it more flow?

Banned
    Maybe having the ties "loose fitting" (to aid in removal no doubt) is making it worse. Don't get a problem with mine, but there tight and flush around the slot pipe all the way round. When they are tight, you can adjust the position of the screen slightly (within the slot) to get even flow. Perhaps try tightening them against something (so you can still cut them off easy) or use thinner ones, or both.

Or don't use any zip ties at all! Cut the screen out to size but leave 2 tabs sticking out to the sides at the top. This will make the screen look like a T shirt and it hangs on its own.

my screens are tied pvc pipes with 3 cable ties, with a clear plastic wrap to prevent splash . I use the cut off tips of the cable ties to pin thru the plastic wrap to prevent it from shifting or flying off (cus the winds here can be quite strong), the plastic wrap can also be used to guide the flow to areas where i need more flow (this is cus i m lazy to drill more holes to get more flow).

The 2 cable ties at the ends r stretched outwards to prevent the screen from wob in the centre , so as to get optimum flow over the screen

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information