+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrubber for dummies?

Scrubber for dummies?

I'm in the process of upgrading my reef tank and was just working out what to put into my sump (this is my first sumped aquarium) when I came across scrubbers and a link to this forum. I've read through a lot of threads and confused myself completely now.

1) Am I right in thinking this is the screen I would need? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2809641568...84.m1438.l2649

2) I'm struggling to work out what size I would need to use. Some guides work it out on tank size and some on feeding. My display tank with displacement etc is around 60 US gallons. Feeding wise I don't know, I only have 4 small fish currently and feed a tiny amount once a day (I defrost a bit of frozen slab and syringe some into the tank)

3) Lighting, is this the kind of thing? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3209995034...84.m1438.l2649
    What wattage would I need based on a light either side of the screen?

4) What kind of flow rate do I need over the screen?

I'm sorry to ask what's probably been covered a million times on this forum but if someone could spare a minute to answer the above I would be very grateful. I just need to get it clear in my head.

1. Yes that is right choice. Will need to rough it up to cactus state though.
    2. Size. You need to decide on amount though. 0.5 cube for 4 small fishes would be a good guess. At least its nearly what I feed.
    3. Bulb is OK. Wattage depends on screen size. With more you can decrease hours though. Dont forget reflectors.
    4. 35 gph per inch of screen. So depends on how wide you will make your screen.

Thanks for the help

So if I say one block of food as I do want to add more fish that would mean I could use the example size screen of 3 x 4 inches with 12 watts in reflectors either side for 9 hours a day? is that 3 or 4 inches wide?
    Flow would need to be 12 x 35 = 420gph pump? So I could go with a 450gph with an adjuster.

3 inches wide screen need 3 x 35gph = 105 gph
    4 inches wide screen need 4 x 35gph = 140 gph

But 3" x 4" = 12 square inches doesn't it? 12 x 35 gph = 420 gph

Linear and not square inches.
    Example - 3x5 and 3x10 would need same pump.

BTW I have more flow of that recommended and find it to work even better.

This is why I have a dummies thread Thank you!

I found a suitable pump, it takes 13mm hosing. How would I connect 13mm hosing to 22mm rigid pipe?

glue it inside. Sometimes i fit few different hoses inside each other until all connects together.
    Or possibly there are special fittings.

Banned

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information