+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large scrubber build ideas

Large scrubber build ideas

Trying to figure out how I should build my scrubber. I have 60 3w philips rebel ES LED's that will be powered by a DIY controller I have built and 4 LDD-700 drivers on PCB. Plan to use aluminum c-channel for the heat sink.

Once my setup is fully stocked I plan on having 480sq" of screen and feeding ~0.25lbs food a day.

I am really stumpped for ideas on the design.

Throw out some ideas on a way to build it.

Here are some pics of the room I have been building. Ignore the mess.... been a long build. I am missing the 300g tank since I need help moving it. Once the 300g is installed all the tanks will be hooked up to that huge sump in the picture. The sump is 5ftx2ftx2ft custom made for the K1 media. I also have a 2ftx8"x8" fuge in the sump not set up at this time. When all is said and done I will have ~600ish gallons of water. One reef tank and a tank with eel and small shark.

Throw out some ideas because I am out of ideas

Click image for larger version

Name:	idea1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	3784Click image for larger version

Name:	idea2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	3785Click image for larger version

Name:	idea3.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	3786Click image for larger version

Name:	idea4.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	3787Click image for larger version

Name:	idea5.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	3788

Administrator
    Fun!

Is that a mobile home? If so did you check the flooring for support? Does look like a crazy fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post
    Is that a mobile home? If so did you check the flooring for support? Does look like a crazy fun project.
    There is more support under that part of the house than anywhere else. The floor has two 3/4" plywood stacked on top of each other. Under the floor has steel beams going one way and beams I made going the opposite. From there every two feet (over a span of 16ftx12ft) I have concrete blocks to hold the weight.

I am thinking a waterfall designed scrubber but I can't figure out where I would place it. Ideas to make a waterfall scrubber that is seperated from the tanks?

Administrator
    Go through the pics in the build section... they are waterfalls from the past 4 years.

"I am thinking a waterfall designed scrubber but I can't figure out where I would place it". This is you kidding, right?

You look to have about 200 square feet to work with not counting the eight foot ceilings. I would go with multiple screens with rotating cleaning schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Go through the pics in the build section... they are waterfalls from the past 4 years.
    I did, gave me some ideas but not 100% sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post
    "I am thinking a waterfall designed scrubber but I can't figure out where I would place it". This is you kidding, right?

You look to have about 200 square feet to work with not counting the eight foot ceilings. I would go with multiple screens with rotating cleaning schedules.
    Haha, nope not kidding :-) Want something that is not in the way and organized. I still want to add a frag and quarantine tank.

I have an idea using the PVC but still may just build an acrylic box.

Anyone come up with the best method of cutting the slit in the PVC for the screen? In the past I have used a cut off wheel. Right now I keep getting certain parts of the screen losing water since its shooting out vs falling down the screen.

i find router and a straight edge for cutting slot very clean

That looks good to me. Certainly straighter my my hand holding a Dremmel.
    May have too much flow. Insert the screen into pipe as well. Don't have it hanging just below.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information