+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Article on coral colors

Article on coral colors

Nice study here http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/12/corals

Not being born to speak english from the begining I unfortunately found myself not understanding well this rather complicated article.

Can someone bring here some understandable and practical conclusions for me and others like me ?

Banned
    In short, different spectrums of light will excite different color pigments in corals. This is why 2 of the same coral can look completely different in different tanks. While this is helpful for making your tank/corals look their best visually, in terms of health it isn't a big factor (unless your talking about red corals not being red due to too much copper in the tank). Look at the colors of light used to excite the colors in the corals, if you have corals of those colors and wish for them to look better, add the spectrum that does that. You also have to weigh the overall color of the light to your personal preference. While green light may make certain corals look better, it can make the overall tank look like a phyto culture if you add too much.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information