+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Speed drain-fed scrubber

oh decisions decisions... UAS or WFAS... Guess either will be hard to incorporate into my system and keep it under the hood so to speak. If i went with the UAS it would fit easier but lighting it may be difficult especially from a two sided standpoint. A WF version i'm worried about salt creep and where to put it as i simply don't have a lot of space to work with. I really want to simply split my drain and run it off of a valve controlled line so that i don't have to run yet another pump. Just seems silly to me if it can be done without. i might end up just building a box to slide back behind my tank on the floor. then with either method it will be easy to access and clean ect.

Banned
    You will have more salt creep with uas believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RkyRickstr View Post
    You will have more salt creep with uas believe it or not.
    I fail to see how you came to that conclusion !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Devs View Post
    I fail to see how you came to that conclusion !
    BIG bubbles, BIG bursting bubbles, from a depth, erupting at the surface, equals lots of salt creep. Unless you prevent it somehow.

That I could actually see. I suppose if the water was flowing down the screen properly all the way to the water level in theory there should be little splashing. Just not sure how easy it will be to get it to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    BIG bubbles, BIG bursting bubbles, from a depth, erupting at the surface, equals lots of salt creep. Unless you prevent it somehow.
    Put a lid on it !

Banned
    I have never had any salt creep on any of my ATS's, but when I tried the UAS on the corner of a 10G frag tank not only was top corner covered in salt, but the entire side of the aquarium, wall behind the tank, and top of the stand was covered with salt creep in a day. Since the UAS is primarily designed for smaller/sumpless type setups putting a lid on the tank is the last thing I would want to do (trap gasses/lower gas exchange, in turn lowering both algae and coral growth). Also it blocks light from the tank when you put a lid on a tank to block salt creep as it just builds up on the inside of the lid reducing the light that gets through so you have to clean it daily. That is just for 'in tank' designs for saltwater, in a chamber in a sump that is different and could be done.

I contemplated a UAS, but I had already foreseen the potential salt creep issues. It also still seems like a bit of a work in progress and isn't as perfected as the waterfall scrubbers just yet. I've had incredible results in the past with waterfall-style setups, so that's why I'm pursuing that design.

Oh dear...

I don't mean a lid on the tank ...look at the image i posted on here of my design, infact...I'll post it again here...I've shown the lid in clear acrylic just to distinguish it from the rest of the casing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	UAS2.2s.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	3837

Also...

Where on earth do you get the idea from that UAS's are for smaller/sumpless setups ???

The design in my previous post is a 2 cube UAS...it is only 136mm wide, which enables it to fit in those narrow sump sections. The base is split in half and both halves angled up to finish just 1.5 to 2mm short of the bubble bar, this in effect will creates a bubble catcher which would capture bubbles given off by the drain coming into the sump, therefore possibly being able to eliminate the use of an air pump.

so...two of these would give you 4 cube feeding per day giving an overlap on the cleaning. IMO More than 6 cube feeding per day I would consider as a custom build anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information