+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DI Regeneration

Banned
    Geez. Sounds like a PITA. Unless you're regenerating a lot of carbon, isn't it just cheaper and easier to buy more?

Banned
    You also have to take into account even with all the work, and finding a Kiln to cook the carbon in afterwards (a critical step from what I have read other places), you get an extra 10-25% more use out of the spent carbon from doing all that work (meaning maybe a days worth of usage in our hobby). It just doesn't seem worth it to me. I have never seen or heard of anyone regenerating carbon to the point it is back to anywhere close to 100% efficiency. Heck, even Purigen I have noticed doesn't clean/regenerate back to 100% after first usage, at best I would say 80% and each time afterwards it goes down, which is why they say it only lasts for up to 10 regenerations/bleaching before it needs to be replaced.

Regenerating works for DI and GFO, I can see how both of those can save you money long term, but not carbon. I would love someone to prove me wrong but I am not holding by breath on that one.

I have regened DI years ago. I have a stockpile ( entire Oceanic 5g salt bucket ) full of it. In our local club we are planning a regen party to do on a large scale and make a day of it. Will let you know how it goes.

We do similar parties several times a year and make a big vat of homemade fish food. That works well and always has a good turnout.

Will see if people have to stock piling the resins for the winter for the DI party late spring early summer.

Hey, maybe you can regen the GAC with an ozone generator:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15087197

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenReef View Post
    I have regened DI years ago. I have a stockpile ( entire Oceanic 5g salt bucket ) full of it. In our local club we are planning a regen party to do on a large scale and make a day of it. Will let you know how it goes.

We do similar parties several times a year and make a big vat of homemade fish food. That works well and always has a good turnout.

Will see if people have to stock piling the resins for the winter for the DI party late spring early summer.
    LOL I never thought of doing a DIY DI Regen event, I've hosted the DIY Food event twice and organized it 3 times total, that's one heck of an undertaking when you are making enough food to fill up a 5 gallon bucket!

I bough RO/DI resin, but my DI resin anion and kation already mixed in 1 tube.
    Q: can I regenerate all anion kation all together in NaOH.. then HCl in it ?

Banned
    Gotta follow the steps from post 6, you can't regenerate them without separating them first.

Banned
    Go back to post #6. The two will separate during the regen process.

Oh sorry I did not read it.....

then it can be done for me.... ok thanks.

I ever read GFO can be regenerate too, but only iron base only... can not work for alumunium base...
    have you ever read that too ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information