Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae Scrubber size, wattage and flow calculator

Administrator

Algae Scrubber size, wattage and flow calculator

Banned
    Pretty slick

Nice !

works good.
    My ats is 55 watt pl with 50 cm X 7 cm screen with 4 bloks feeding and the calculator had the same numbers.

Thx

That is very cool.

I am a little confused about screen size, if the calculator says I need 36 sq inches is that 36 if lit one side and 18 per side if lit 2 sides? The screen size calculator isnt very clear, I assume its actually calculating based on 1 sided screens but I want to make sure I do this proper before I go any further with my rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by djmatteo View Post
    I am a little confused about screen size, if the calculator says I need 36 sq inches is that 36 if lit one side and 18 per side if lit 2 sides? The screen size calculator isnt very clear, I assume its actually calculating based on 1 sided screens but I want to make sure I do this proper before I go any further with my rebuild.
    36 sq. in. whether it is lit on one side or two

hehe ! I've had this same ding dong with SM over on UR and the conclusion was...

Lets say you're feeding one cube per day, that would make a single sided screen 24" square of say 4" x 6" and lit by four 3watt leds. Now...if that screen were to be lit from both sides (Two 3watt leds either side) it would make it a 2 sided screen with double the filtration capacity, so...a 2 cube feed per day.

Having said all that...I prefer to do it similar to the way floyd has....6 reds and 2 blues with a current divider on the blues and use a prismatic diffuser over the leds for an even light spread.

An example VERTICAL upflow or waterfall screen sized to 1 cube of feeding is 3 X 4 inches = 12 square inches of screen (7.5 X 10 cm = 75 sq cm). If using cfl's, you would need 1-watt per sq. in. That would be a total of 12 watts. So if you want all the lights on one side the screen size would stay the same size. You don't double the screen size if putting lights on one side only. You just put the total wattage one side or you cut the wattage in half for 2 sides.

So, using the example of 1 cube above, if you want to light it on both sides you would cut the total wattage in half. 6 watts on one side and 6 watts on the other for a total of 12 watts. Or you would light it on one side with 12 watts, but it would still be 12 watts total on the 12 sq. in. screen.

If you are going to use LED's, SantaMonica recommends that you only need half the wattage of a cfl which would be 6 watts. If you want to have 2 sides then 3 watts on one side and 3 watts on the other for a total of 6. Or you can go 6 watts total on one side only.

The calculator is based on Santamonica's recommendations.

Updated the calculator. Seems there was an error on my part

I know Floyd and others have modified ways of doing LED's and maybe I'll add those modifications to the calculator in time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information