+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie screen size question

Newbie screen size question

Hi All

Im at the planning stage with my waterfall scrubber and im a bit confused as to why the recommended screen size has changed so much?

I was planning a large screen but after checking the latest thread i only need 3"x4"

Im planning to run it off my overflow but i think that it will be really noisey and restrict the flow.

Any help and advice would be great!

P.s im trying to cut my nitrate and phosphate levels in my tank as i have a bit of an algae problem
    tank is 65G (UK)

Thanks

Matt

Welcome to the club

Feeding guidelines have changed after much experimenting and fine tuning. Basically, a 12 sq inch double sided screen with 35(US) gallons per inch flow will process 1 standard food cube per day

You could T the flow from the overflow, so then it won't restrict the overflow flow into the sump and means you can isolate the algae scrubber if need be. Personally, I would run it off it's own pump. as it's a lot easier to do, but it is your choice.

Have you found a source for the mesh screen? I found a supllier in the UK that does the correct thing (sewing spring)

Banned
    Hello Moo Moo. What sort of food are you using (flake, frozen cubes) and how much. If frozen, are they the 1cubic centimetre ones or the larger (3ml) ones.

Administrator
    Welcome.

Screen size is less in order to allow the algae to grow longer. This allows GHA to grow more, instead of brown.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information