+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My drain design.

Banned

My drain design.

You guys see any problems with this?

Banned
    I can't see anything wrong myself.. looks like it should function fine without any worry of overflowing the tank.

If you thing, your return flow rate is one that you need for scrubber itself , then should work. Other vise you will need valved bypass down from scrubber. On the other hand emergency pipe can do that job.

Banned
    Hmm I thought I had posted on this one, I guess it didn't go through.

I would drop the horizontal pipe down as far as you can, then take the vertical run off the tee and go as high as you can, and then to an elbow into the side of another tee that is 2 sizes larger. One of those tees that is a reducing, like the main ones are 1.5" and the side is 1" (assuming your plumbing is 1" in this case). Then the 2nd tee is open on the top (you can extend a standpipe up a bit if you want) and the bottom is plumbed back to the sump. This way, if algae grows into the slot, the water must back up the standpipe a ways before if goes through the emergency overflow. If you don't do this, then you will end up with water going through the emergency line and it will siphon and you will get no flow to your scrubber. This exact thing happened to me within the first 5 days of setting up my 1st scrubber.

Banned
    U did in ur site.. lol..

Wow i have a poor imagination... Would you have a minute to make a quick drawing
    ?

Banned
    I thought I was losing it...

Here ya go.

Banned
    Here is another one. I've described this verbally many times so finally a sketch

The standpipe would run up the back of the tank then back down. Both of these need straps, etc to secure plumbing.

Important point on the sump based bypass is that you need to realize that when the bypass is actually running, the flow rate is limited by the height difference as noted. This is per BeanAnimal's handy flow calculator

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information