+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vertical versus horizontal

Vertical versus horizontal

Hello all,

1st off, thank you both Worley and SantaMonica for a great site and great information! I've been following SataMonica's threads at MD for a while, and now here.

I have built a vertical scrubber for my 75g Reef tank; two screens 5" wide,x 10" high, 3 lights. Screens aer 1.5" into the water; water supply is from a Mag5 giving good flow (not sure if it is too much?). I have brown diatomes so far, day 5, with a little spec of green algae about 3mm.

My question: have any of you done comparisons with vertical versus Horizontal? I would think horizontal would be an easier project for these reasons: Lighting (on top, so, no worries about water splashes etc), and, less drastic water splashing noise. My wife is a tad irritated with the splashing from my current vertical setup.

I will post pics once I have a nice matt of algae.

Rainer

Administrator

Re: Vertical versus horizontal

Horiontal works, but has a disadvantage of needing to be twice as big, and having slow flow. Rapid, thin flow is what makes scrubbers work. A compromise might be an angled screen. However, there should be no splashing if set up right. If splashing is from the pipe, make the slot wider, and/or put a spray shield. If from the water below, raise the sump level, or reduce the flow.

Thank you for the helpful information,

Rainer

Stay tuned as I ran a vertical, splashy, scrubber and I have just converted it to a horizontal. As soon as it is completely running to my satisfaction I'll be reporting on it.

Excellent!

I am even thinking of placing a slanted horizontal 'plate' under the two vertical screens to reduce splash and add a scrubber area. Any thoughs? Should work

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by rainerfeyer
    Excellent!

I am even thinking of placing a slanted horizontal 'plate' under the two vertical screens to reduce splash and add a scrubber area. Any thoughs? Should work

Rainer
    That's pretty clever! Go for it. Just make sure you get light to it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information