+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at starting a QT tank

Looking at starting a QT tank

Do you guys QT?

How do you that do setup the filtration?

I am thinking about putting a turf scrubber together for a qt tank... I like the idea of having a permanent tank always ready for those trips to the fish store.

I am thinking a scrubber above the tank and a auto feeder with flake food or something just to keep the tank always ready for something new.

Does anyone see something wrong with this?

Administrator
    Welcome.

Should work fine. If no fish, you can put the harvest back into the water for a continuous loop.

Nice!

So I have read that turf scrubbers will work with copper short term but would they also work with Hypersalinity or will the algae not grow in that situation?

I did that for a short time

I put one on a quarantine tank one year ago and the salinity down rather low (1.09) it works great I'm getting ready to set up another 20 long tank for quarantine and then SPS in the sun. Will be posting pics with questions tomorrow.
    180 Reef 3x250 MH,4 big power heads, mag 12 in 40 g sump. Algae scrubber, RDSB and GAC.
    Building a 20 up against a East window w/ scrubber.

Cool. I will have to look for some plans for a smaller sized scrubber.

I wonder if building one for a cube a day would work or for a qt if I should look at something smaller since I really wouldnt feed a fish in qt that much...

Quote Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
    Cool. I will have to look for some plans for a smaller sized scrubber.

I wonder if building one for a cube a day would work or for a qt if I should look at something smaller since I really wouldnt feed a fish in qt that much...
    I have 2 hog.5 UAS ATS. I could not get them to work in a FO 20g or my 120g mixed reef. But I will try one in a QT and see what happens. Maybe it will work better if there is no light in the tank?

This might be a great use for the hog.5 is this works!

Glad I found your Forum!

Now I need a little advice please. Would this be called a wall mount? It is flowing 52 to 60 GPH per inch. From the dry side to the screen is 2.75". Obviously I am building this tank around a scrubber since my 180 is doing so well at 6 weeks old! Tanks to you guys! I'm thinking about 12 sq. in. So my question is how should I orientate it tall or long? Fresh water in there now for testing (saltwater and rock going in today) , do you guys think a 3D might work?Also if I make the screen long I can run the water level a little higher. SM do you have led's that will work on that from your use?
    Also I am open to all suggestions on the whole tank neg or pos! I have 6yrs exp but that does not mean I know alot. I am just now getting some SPS to grow. If ya want a laugh, last Nov after not checking CA for 6 mo. it was 200. I fixed with rock solid stability now

Last edited by Ed; 01-29-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: I fixed a micro bubble problem
    180 Reef 3x250 MH,4 big power heads, mag 12 in 40 g sump. Algae scrubber, RDSB and GAC.

Well I started up the QT tank yesterday. I put some dried old LR rock in it with a UAS Hog.5 Boy at the 24hrs point it turned cloudy and the house stinks.

Old LR

It may take a while to get all of the nutrients out of that old live rock. I finished up my 20 gallon long today also, just need to give the scrubber about a month to get up to speed before I buy a fish. I put BRS dry rock in the sump of my big tank 3 weeks ago then into the QT. I have a apogee light meter to limit the sunlight with sreen material I'm thinking about 350 to 500 PAR for sps that will come in a few months. Has anyone used sun to go much brighter? It has been cloudy lately but tomorrow when the sun is out I will find out the maximum, prolly about 900. My 13W cfl may not outdo the sun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information