+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I want more LEDs, do I just double up on drivers?

If I want more LEDs, do I just double up on drivers?

I was looking around rapid LED... And all their drivers appear to only host up to 14 LEDs.
    Right?

So, for people who want more LEDs, you just buy more drivers? Or are there drivers out there that hold more LEDs?

Banned
    I have used these on large display builds, one driver handles 72 LEDs.

http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-hl...mmable-driver/

I'm confused... It says "Max 42V DC Voltage (runs ~1-12 LEDs)"
    But ALSO says "Most likely uses would be powering 60 LEDs @ up to 880mA (5 strings of 12) or powering 72 LEDs @ up to 733mA (6 strings of 12)"

Banned
    In these instances, you are running parallel strings. Each string is matched (identical voltage drop) and then each string is a current divider.

4.4A Max driver current / 6 strings - 0.733A or 733 mA. Each string would in this instance have a max drop of 42V. For 3W 660nm Deep Reds, this is about 2.0-2.2V per, so that's actually 19-20 LED per string.

So, I could SAFELY run less on it, like the driver won't go into shut off mode. Right?
    I'd only have to occupy a couple of strings. Because I won't have 70 LEDs.

Banned
    I don't think so but I'm not sure. If you do less strings, each string would have higher amperage. Since it lists a current range, I believe there is a minimum. Just from the description on Rapid, I would think 2.2A is the minimum drive current. Meaning that you would need to have 2 strings each of 20 LED (or a 42V drop) and then those would run at 1.1A each. Or 3 strings of 20 at 733mA. Since 660s run at 700mA max, you would need 4 strings.

Alright, I'll just get another smaller driver :P
    They're real cheap anyway.

Banned
    Also in looking at the spec sheet, the "A" version is the one that has the internally adjustable current control. I would assume the "B" version that rapid sells does not, and provides the full 4.4A all the time.

I've got an ELN30D-48 running 16 red LEDs with no problem. I could do a lot more, probably up to 22, since 16 LEDs only add up to 34 volts or so. Get a driver with a wide output voltage range at the current you want (600mA give or take) and you can't really go wrong. I would recommend against doing parallel strings to split the current from a high current driver if you don't have to, and for a scrubber, you probably shouldn't have to unless you are building a monster.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Also in looking at the spec sheet, the "A" version is the one that has the internally adjustable current control. I would assume the "B" version that rapid sells does not, and provides the full 4.4A all the time.
    On the 'B' version all you need is a 100 Ohm potentiometer connected to the dimmer, no external power supply required like on the ELN60's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information