+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Build with LEDs and questions

The tank has just about finished cycling. I cleaned the screen once prior. It was just a brown film algae with some small green patches. This is a pic of the first meaningful screen cleaning. You'll notice the center of the screen is not where the real green stuff wants to grow. Can this be due to the leds being too strong and focused in this area? The better growth is above and below where the light hits directly. Do the leds need to be further from the screen? Presently they're 1.5" from the screen surface. These are the "puck" style leds with 4 diodes per puck. They're not supposed to be very powerful, but maybe they're more than enough

Administrator
    Just let it grow more days next time. Maybe the puck have good power.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Just let it grow more days next time. Maybe the puck have good power.
    Ok will do It was 10 days since the first cleaning - I think LOL Now I'm logging everything on my iPad using ReefKeeper Pro, since I'll never remember when I last cleaned it.

This is the growth after another ten days. Not sure what's influenced the better/more growth. Maybe just a break in period? I made two changes during this period within the last ten days. First I added a carbon reactor to the system running BRS Rox. Next I have been including kalkwasser in the top off water. Not a saturated solution - 1tsp/gal vs 2tps/gal, which is supposed to produce a saturated solution. The net effect on the water parameters is an increase of ph from a range of 8.1 - 8.25 or so to a range of 8.35 to 8.45 or a little higher. No livestock in the tank other than a good sized cleanup crew so I'm not too concerned with experimenting with the ph levels.

Other than the aforementioned changes, I have not made others yet. I plan on modest carbon dosing down the road to see what effect this has on things.

Oh the pic Get the same growth on both sides of the screen. I'm letting it go for another few days before cleaning, to see what happens to the growth.

Realized I never posted the correct link to the LEDs I used for this build. So here it is. I used 6 of the red pucks per side. LSMCC series Constant Current SMD LED Sign Module

The specs for the pucks posted earlier in the thread didn't seem as good as these.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information