+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Cube Hog UAS

2 Cube Hog UAS

Can do between 1 and 2 cubes.

Will be carrying out trials over the next couple of months.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2cube-s.jpg‎
Views:	248
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	3920   Click image for larger version

Name:	2cubeLO-s.jpg‎
Views:	234
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3921  
    Last edited by Devs; 02-09-2013 at 03:20 AM.

A few more pics, that's a piece of acrylic between the two halves.

The fan is controlled with a temp sensor.

Banned
    What a great unit. Looks like it would make a nice waterfall unit also with a few mods.

Thanks Garf...

A few details...

The screen inside is 4" x 6" double sided for some idea of scale

The base of the wet side on this is split in half and both halves slope up towards the middle acting as a bubble collector, so the drain from the DT(if using this in a sump that is) could be simply directed towards the bottom of the hog and so possibly eliminating the use of an air pump, this is an idea taken from one of SM's designs.

Forgot to mention that it does also have a bubble bar, you can just see the air line connection in the very first pic in first post.

Oh...and the screen is made double sided by the use of very highly reflective material which you can also see an inch or so behind the screen in the first pic.

Banned
    How is it double-sided?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    How is it double-sided?
    The reflector material behind the screen reflects 99 percent of all light with 96 percent being in the 400nm to 700nm range (blue and red) it is also angled at both sides onto the back of the screen.
    I'll post here with all results.

Banned
    Ok. But do you realize that it will only reflect light that passes through the screen and the algae? Once the algae mat grows thick enough, it will block 100% of the light from reaching the reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Ok. But do you realize that it will only reflect light that passes through the screen and the algae? Once the algae mat grows thick enough, it will block 100% of the light from reaching the reflector.
    Which is why the side panels are angled in across the back of the screen. They should create enough light for the algae to grow. What I'm hoping for is the algae on the back if it doesn't grow as fast as the front ! to at least have grown half as much as the front when the front reaches full growth, which can then be cleaned and then turn the half grown back to the front and so on and so forth giving continuous filtration.

The screen simply slides in and out of a couple of slots, so very easy to remove and clean.

Banned
    Well the issue here is that LEDs are inherently directional in nature, meaning that their light is projected forwards in a cone-shaped disbursement with something like 90% of their radiant flux contained within that cone. So when you buy 120 degree LEDs (generally the widest range, but you might find 140) that means that most of the light is contained within 60 degrees off of the centerline. So almost none of your incidental light will make it to the corners and get bounced off the reflectors, and depending on the angle of the reflectors. I'm not knocking your idea, it looks very good to me, and you have the right idea, but it might take some refinement to make it work the way you intend it to.

I work in the consulting engineering industry and I have had quite a bit of exposure to commercial/architectural light fixture, and spectral reflectors are a very specific subset of that industry, with obvious importance. If you can make a reflector that produces 5% higher lumen efficiency for a particular light source, that's huge. Lighting is a high competitive (cut-throat is the word I would use) industry.

So with that in mind, what I'm say just based on the pics that you have posted is that I don't think you are going to get any significant amount of reflectance around the corners and to the back of the screen. If you could make the back chamber and reflector larger and correctly angled/curved, and then place additional LEDs along the edges that would be dedicated to only supplying light to be reflected to the back side of the screen, I think that would be much more effective. Your inside box would likely be much larger to make this happen, and I would think that something with more of a mirror like reflective surface would be more efficient, but then you run into the waterproof issue. I've seen plenty of people claim that a plain white surface is just as reflective as a mylar or true spectral polished aluminum reflector, but I do not buy that, at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information