+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae Scrubber & Phosphate Reactor Combo - Bad?

Algae Scrubber & Phosphate Reactor Combo - Bad?

I just realized that I may be challenging my scrubber, seeing as though I'm running a Dual chamber GFO/Carbon reactor.

Would you guys recommend removing the phosphate chamber and running dual carbon for now. Will I still see algae growth running GFO, or will it just not be the type of beneficial growth I want?

Thanks in advance.

Banned
    GFO is going to compete with your scrubber.

Honestly after reading Ace25's comments on this thread I seriously doubt whether phosphates are as bad as they all say. I for one can tell you that I have had coralline grow when phosphates were higher than what would supposedly prevent it from growing. And vice-versa actually.

Administrator
    Yes the GFO will slow your scrubber down.

Carbon does not affect the scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    GFO is going to compete with your scrubber.

Honestly after reading Ace25's comments on this thread I seriously doubt whether phosphates are as bad as they all say. I for one can tell you that I have had coralline grow when phosphates were higher than what would supposedly prevent it from growing. And vice-versa actually.
    Thanks for the link Floyd. Very interesting. My new 120g tank has only been up and running for about 6 weeks (livestock transfered over about 2 weeks ago). Just this week, I'm starting to see a very large brown algae outbreak in my tank. I introduced light and started feeding the tank 2 weeks ago, but it took until this week to have such a bloom.

I have an undersized skimmer (rated for 65g) and the dual carbon/phosphate reactor working right now. I was going to remove the skimmer after the scrubber took off, but I'm thinking maybe I should just run dual Rox 0.8 carbon with the scrubber. Seems to work for Ace25, but yet every tank has its own personalities.

May I ask, what are you running? Just an UAS/ATS? Do you run any reactors or skimmers?

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    Yes the GFO will slow your scrubber down.

Carbon does not affect the scrubber.
    Thanks Floyd and SM - I'm going to remove the GFO tonight and add some more carbon.

Would it be advisable to run my skimmer with the scrubber? I know some people feel running both is fine and some feel running only a scrubber will do the trick, as a skimmer will extract nutrition for the water and the scrubber will extract nutrients.

I was hoping to get to the point where I was only running a scrubber, as the results I read seem to speak for themselves!!! However, seeing that I'm in my initial scrubber break in period, would leaving the skimmer in the mix be advisable for the short term?

Administrator
    Can leave the skimmer if you want... will not affect the scrubber.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information