+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ok i want to give this a try and was wanting to know if i did it right

ok thanks guys i must of missed that part somehow and the video was great i will do this as soon as i get home and start over and also i used the calculatoron that sticky and it said i only needed 22 square inches so i only need a 6x4 screen is this right

because if that is right i am going to rebuild the entire thing this weekend and make it more down in the tank spray most of the tank black so the light dont escape to much

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick727 View Post
    ok thanks guys i must of missed that part somehow and the video was great i will do this as soon as i get home and start over and also i used the calculatoron that sticky and it said i only needed 22 square inches so i only need a 6x4 screen is this right
    According to your first post you are feeding "2 pinchs of flake food and 1/2 a cube of frozen a day". According to the calculator if you are putting lights on both sides your screen only needs to be 12 sq. in. That would be a 3x4 screen. And you would only need 6 watts of actual watts (cfl) on each side.

thank you cmd 2012 i am rebuilding the entire thing when i get home tonight now that i understand this a little more i will take pictures and let everyone know how things are coming along and again thanks for all the help

also i was wanting to know if anyone has tried the red cfl bulbs you see in the hydro stores

Banned
    If they are red when off don't bother. Why would they sell those in a hydro store? Those are gimmick lamps. They are not meant for growing, just for splashing color on something. CFL grow lamps don't actually project red light, it's the kelvin temp of the light that matter and the remote phosphors used to achieve that color temp.

they are clear with refecther and turn red when on they said they are for house plants in a green house 23 watt 2700k was just wondering if they would i will go back and try to get a picture of one in the package and post as well as try to get one turns in working order turned on and off thanks for the reply floyd you have been a lot of help

i was wondering will this light work ok http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEIT-8W-45W-...item3a7e6d9943

or maybe even this one thanks for any help http://www.creativelightings.com/LED...0v-38-dw-d.htm

Banned
    LED is a different animal.

All household-type LED lights are meant to match the look and feel of their CFL or Incandescent equivalents. The spectrum is wrong for our purposes. Flourescent sources are mercury based with a lot of UV and IR and this is shifted into visible light with phosphors. LEDs are element based and bandwidths are more specific. They do not correlate. You need LEDs that are of the specific bandwith for growing algae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information