+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy from Scotland

Howdy from Scotland

Ive been looking over this whole thread and also a few others. Ive a 300 Litre tank and have just ordered some of the 7 plastic canvas mesh which should arrive this weekend. Im thinking of making my first very diy upflow algae scrubber as I have a air pump and a long air stone that I could use.

Im planning on having a screen size of around 6x10 inches so 15cm x 25cm.

Im just about to order some of these leds from the bay heres the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-3-x-3W...item5aee05b23b

My question is this. How many do I actually require. they are 3x2w reds at 660nm with a controller so all I need to get is the adaptor which should be this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-1AM...item4aa89ae6c2

Im still unsure how Im going to fix these but I think ill be starting off with putting them in side a plastic food tray that they will fit into and then have the screen and airstone in the tank and attach each with magnets. Although the hangon version would be nice as I could come up with some contraption to have the bubbles come out from the top surface and not go into the tank.

So could Santa Monica or someone please confirm how many of these 3w red leds I would need for a screen approx that size as above.

In the long run Ill probabaly buy some acrylic plastic and make a thing box to go inside the tank to where I can simply slide the canvas sheet in and out without having to take the unit out the water.

Lats question so as Ive only just registered. AS my tank is glass and seeing as Im cleaning my glass twice a week to keep the glass clean surely there will be even more algae growing on the oposite side of where the light is and the canvas sheet. and surely this will also need to be cleaned regularly to allow light to get to the canvas ?

Regards
    Juan from Bonny Scotland

I would really try to atleast give this a go for the first time hence the questions.

Administrator
    Welcome.

6 X 10 = 60 square inches = 60 total real CFL watts or 30 total LED watts. So you would need 3 of those units; but if 2-sided you would need 1 on each side for a total of 2, or 2 on each side for a total of 4.

You don't want the lenses.

And really, those LEDs are too close together; you will end up with burn spots in the middle, and dark growth on the outside, unless you really diffuse them.

Ok would this be better ie 3 of them.

Or should I just go for single 3w LEDs and place them where I want

Or are these better.

Finding it tricky to find a simple controller for these to then plug into a uk socket

Administrator
    The 10 piece 3w, and spread them out.

Hi Juan, I was going to suggest the pack of 3W LEDs to you, but on (UR) you implied your electronics skills weren't that great, so I offered you the easy ones Agree with SM, I do, remove the lenses and maybe mount the LEDs further away from the glass to aid dispersion

Well those 10 off 3w LEDs are now on their way. Popped into maplins to see if they had some kind of controller for when I hooked the LEDs up but they said it was more complicated than that.

I messaged the guy where I got these LEDs from and he said he would get a controller in but it seems all ifs and buts and that the controller or power supply needs to be made for each individual case.

I've got mine up and running but using an 80w energy saving bulb. Just having a few issues with the amount of bubbles going over the screen. But I might need a stronger pump or simply put the small air stone back on as opposed to this longer one I just bought for a few pounds.

Personally I hope I can put these red LEDs to good use when they arrive as I'm much happier with a red glow to the side of my tank to a bright 80w bulb

Administrator
    Yea you kind of get used to the red

How are you going to get to the stone to clean/replace it?

Hi there Santa Monica,

Ive actually changed this air stone now and have basically used a plastic rigid pipe that you use for culturing phyto plankton etc. Ive then drilled out 1/16" drill through this. The air is coming out better but not fully going across the pipe the full length of the canvas so Ive just ordered a stronger air pump. Its double what you suggest for your one on ebay the hog.5 but im hoping to get a bigger screen in the future so I just ordered the larger pump and can simply restrict the flow with a valve.

As for cleaning this I can simply disconnect it from the tube and clean as required.

Really looking forward to seeing this all come into action after a few days or weeks

Once you get your bigger scrubber out Ill seriously look into possibly getting it so keep us updates

Regards
    Juan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information