+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon dosing and scrubbers

Carbon dosing and scrubbers

I know this is going off topic a bit as this thread started but how does carbon dosing with kalk affect a scrubber? I dont run a skimmer should i not carbon dose......... or as in all other cases do scrubbers effectiveness increase like a skimmer would. Or are the chances high I will get a bacteria bloom beyond control? Most everything i have read about carbon dosing is written with a skimmer in mind.

Administrator
    If nutrients are very high, the dosing might help the scrubber grow green quicker. If nutrients are low, dosing would slow the scrubber down.

Even if nutrients are high, dosing and scrubbing would lower them, and eventually the dosing would slow the scrubber down. But as long as the scrubber is growing black, dosing would probably help.

You don't have to run a skimmer with dosing unless you really want to lower nutrients; the increase bacteria and microbes just get eaten by the corals.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    If nutrients are very high, the dosing might help the scrubber grow green quicker. If nutrients are low, dosing would slow the scrubber down.

Even if nutrients are high, dosing and scrubbing would lower them, and eventually the dosing would slow the scrubber down. But as long as the scrubber is growing black, dosing would probably help.

You don't have to run a skimmer with dosing unless you really want to lower nutrients; the increase bacteria and microbes just get eaten by the corals.
    Thank you!

I do that when my no3 up

Quote Originally Posted by tebo View Post
    I do that when my no3 up
    If you dont mind me asking what is your dosing rate?

I dose low amount 60 ml per 5 gallon and do have bacteria mat growing on rocks. Currently trying to solve problem, everything I have read says to skim when carbon dosing but interested in where this tread goes because I do not want to run a skimmer and there are various opinions on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Gap View Post
    I dose low amount 60 ml per 5 gallon and do have bacteria mat growing on rocks. Currently trying to solve problem, everything I have read says to skim when carbon dosing but interested in where this tread goes because I do not want to run a skimmer and there are various opinions on this topic.
    If you're getting visible bacterial mats, I would reduce the dosage, at least initially. If you are going to use a bacterial-driven system, I recommend skimming. I don't think it is necessary on every system, but this is one instance where it can be beneficial for a variety of reasons, not least of which is ensuring adequate oxygen. Of course, the latter is alleviated quite a bit with a scrubber, but a skimmer will also reduce bacterial populations by directly exporting them. While corals do indeed eat bacteria, this is yet another way to export nutrients and make sure populations don't go crazy, either.

60ml seems like an awful lot, but you didn't state what the carbon source is. It's also my opinion that a skimmer and dosing go hand in hand.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
    I was intrigued by this statement so I asked a carbon dosing expert about this and his response was "I don't recommend it, but it's a complicated answer."

Banned
    I did carbon dosing and scrubber only for a year. eventually there is so much that the corals cant eat it all. I recommend a skimmer with it. Not to mention I have noticibly less skimmate since I stoped the vinegar.

but to answer the op.. yes its possible to run a scrubber and carbon dosing. even if the scrubber growth slows down.. who cares, as slong as your nutrients are low, we are here to grow beautiful coral, not beautiful algae.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information