+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velcro in tank

Velcro in tank

Can velcro be used inside a saltwater tank? This would probably be the the easiest attachment for a UAS.

I'm just wondering if the sticky part is safe for saltwater. The mag float seems to be glued on the inside portion.

Banned
    I couldn't get an answer out of Velcro as to whether it is reef safe or not. The stuff with hook on one side and loop on the other has an adhesive that holds them together AFAIK, which mean it is questionable do use submerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I couldn't get an answer out of Velcro as to whether it is reef safe or not. The stuff with hook on one side and loop on the other has an adhesive that holds them together AFAIK, which mean it is questionable do use submerged.
    i couldn't get the adhesive side to stick on the aquarium when it was wet anyways.

Banned
    Any adhesive is not reef safe - that is my rule.

Banned
    except duct tape, works every time... lol

velcro is fine. I had to replace the pad on my mag-float and they told me to use velcro,, it has been in my tank 24/7 for years now!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    velcro is fine. I had to replace the pad on my mag-float and they told me to use velcro,, it has been in my tank 24/7 for years now!
    yea thats how thought of using velcro but I cant get the adhesive side to stick to wet acrylic.

and i have found that the velcro does come away in salt water. wonder if there is a safe waterproof glue that could be used.

Banned
    Adhesive backed velcro sticking onto a mag float inside the tank that is constantly held in place with the magnet on the other side is one thing, that would not tend to allow for the SW to be in direct contact with more that just the edges of the material, so minimal exposure to adhesive.

Submerging an large sheet or several strips of adhesive backed velcro in your SW tank is on a completely different playing field. I would just not do it.

Administrator
    You can order non-adhesive velcro, and then glue it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information