+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pump and reflectors?

pump and reflectors?

OK, I've started the cutting of the PVC and roughing up the screen. My next question is- what kind of pumps do you guys use and how do you attach it?? Also I have 23 watt CFL flood light for lighting. Is this good or should I just get a regular 23 CFL bulb? And what do you use as a reflector on the other side of the screen??
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyNite View Post
    OK, I've started the cutting of the PVC and roughing up the screen. My next question is- what kind of pumps do you guys use and how do you attach it?? Also I have 23 watt CFL flood light for lighting. Is this good or should I just get a regular 23 CFL bulb? And what do you use as a reflector on the other side of the screen??
    Thanks!
    Youll need at least 35gph per inch of screen width AT the slot pipe. Make sure whatever pump you get you test it at the height it will be running. Mag Drive and Ehiem pumps are the ones that are usually recommended but there are a few others as well. Cant help you on the lighting or reflectors as I have only used LEDs.

If I am using a screen that is 8" x 10" what size mag drive should I get?? And does anyone have any pics of how their pump is attached?

If I am using a screen that is 8" x 10" what size mag drive should I get?? And does anyone have any pics of how their pump is attached?
    8x35 = 280gph. It depends on how high your tank is from your pump or how high the scrubber is from the pump depending on your configuration. If your scrubber is fed directly from an overflow and your pump returns water to the tank at about 4-5ft off the ground youll need a mag 7 at least. You can always put a ball valve in line with the pump to restrict the flow if its too much.

To attach the pump you can use a threaded pvc to slip pvc connection and run solid from the pump to the tank. OR you can use a threaded to barb with flex hose out of the sump and than convert back to pvc(most recommend this as it can reduce some vibration).

Hope that helps a bit.

I plan to put the pump directly into my refugium and have the scrubber drain back into the 'fuge. So that's only about a height of 1 1/2 feet or so

I plan to put the pump directly into my refugium and have the scrubber drain back into the 'fuge. So that's only about a height of 1 1/2 feet or so
    A mag5 would work: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...tid=4590&rel=1

an Ehiem 1250 could work as well: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...04&pcatid=4604

Youll need a ball valve reguardless to dial in the flow, having more flow is better than to little as after a few months of running you will lose a few gph due to dirt in the pump.

Links to read:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...-for-scrubbers

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...cs-The-Summary

Banned
    How much are you feeding? 8x10 = 80 sq in / 12 = 6 or 7 cubes/day capacity. Big tank? Lots of fish? Just checking...

Up and running!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130226_151849_101.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	4029Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130226_151900_852.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	4030Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130226_170302_630.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	4031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130226_170307_810.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	4032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130226_170316_975.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	4033

OK, I got it all hooked up and running. I have two different size reflectors, the smaller one with a CFL floodlight, and the larger one with a CFL spiral bulb. I'm trying to see which works better. I'd like to get the lights closer, but the clamps can't get any closer. I was running into the problem with the pump emptying the fuge faster than it was filling, but a little tinkering with the flow and it seems to have settled out.

The mesh is in the water maybe 1/4" of an inch or less. Is that ok? Any suggestions or improvements you can suggest?

Thanks!!

Banned
    I know you said you can't get the lights closer, but it's not closer that's critical - it's perpendicular. You are pointing the lights at a 45 degree angle and losing a lot of intensity and coverage. I would try to get the lights pointed straight at the screen if at all possible. Don't forget spray protection. Even something as simple as saran wrap draped over the pipe and extending down a couple inches will reduce the possibility of a sideways stream of water

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information