+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water screen problem, why?

Water screen problem, why?

I am trying to get my screen to grow but its growing on the right side instead of the whole screen. I moved my screen and the water is flowing far right (shown in pic 2). Could this be to much pump pressure? I still need to add another 12" slot to the 1" pipe. It is being powered by a rio 3100 pump. Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	scrubberscreen.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	4027
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scrubberscreen2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	4028

How big is this thing? looks huge. Your slot is going to be 20 plus inches long by how many tall?

Banned
    It appears your LEDs are too close/intense. Flow will even out as growth fills in. You need diffusers, and time.

How close are your LEDs?

I used to see this type of pattern on L2 user screens when I used a single full power blue in the middle. The edges would fill in first with that brown stuff. Algae will not start growing on the screen when it is too intense. Once the screen is cured, then it's game on - full power and tons of growth.

Quote Originally Posted by sklywag View Post
    How big is this thing? looks huge. Your slot is going to be 20 plus inches long by how many tall?
    It is 30" wide and 24" tall. It has two slots each at 12" and two screens each at 12x18" screens

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    It appears your LEDs are too close/intense. Flow will even out as growth fills in. You need diffusers, and time.

How close are your LEDs?

I used to see this type of pattern on L2 user screens when I used a single full power blue in the middle. The edges would fill in first with that brown stuff. Algae will not start growing on the screen when it is too intense. Once the screen is cured, then it's game on - full power and tons of growth.
    What do you mean by diffusers?
    LED's are ~2.5-3" away from the screen. Each LED is a Rebel ES 660nm 3w.
    You thinking to intense? I can dim the LED's from 0-100%. I asked in another post and they recommnded full power for 9 hours a day. What do you think?

ALso, I added the second slot into the PVC pipe and still have the same problem. However, the second screen is not even flow and has 3 pataches of water going down it lol.

Also, anyone know where I can get a bigger plastic canvas? I have 12x18 but would like 12x24 or something like that.

Banned
    I just posted a good explanation of this here:

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/show...r-closest-wall

Your time is about right, but without a diffuser (like the stuff that goes in a ceiling over the lamps of a recessed light fixture) you will get spots that are of very high intensity which will inhibit growth from starting. The diffuser material is found at Lowe's in the section that carries the ceiling tiles.

Better to have full intensity and diffuse them until the screen gets started, rather than dim them I would think. "think" being the active term there. Dim them to 75% and see if you start to get growth in circles around the LEDs with no growth directly in front of them. Then you will know the LEDs are too intense right in front of them. Just an idea.

As for the bigger canvas...12x18 is the biggest I have seen

I like that idea of dimming to 75% and see if there is no growth in front of them. I will change the settings when I get home tonight.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information