+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Led question

Led question

I run a 55 watt pl 2700 kelvin 18 hours one side now and i am looking for led now.
    I was thinking about two side lighting with 660 nm 3 watt leds.
    55 watt pl equels 30 watt led ?? so i need 10 leds for 18 hours is 5 leds boths sides.

my 55 watt pl gifs 4800 lumen most led gif about 100 lumen a watt and a 3 watt led mostly burns at 2 wattt so than I have 20 watt with about 2000 lumen or at full power 3000 lumen.

Is it because of the beter spectrum that 2000 lumen red are better than 4800 lumen pl ??

Greetings
    Eric Jan

Administrator
    Yes

Banned
    Lumens are for Humans. For plant growth you have to look at radiant flux. The amount of RF you get from 660nm LED is much greater than the growth spectrum RF you get from fluorescent sources - there is a lot of 'wasted' bandwidth, so you get what you need along with a lot of what you don't.

Yes i know butt whe speak in watt and that is power consumption.
    and when a led is 100 lumen watt or 200 lumen a watt makes a big differents.
    when i make my led and put in 10 3 watt leds do i run them on 2 watt power?
    and do u use lenses if yes witch kind?
    wich type of leds can i order best?
    thanx

Banned
    No lenses - you want to spread the light out.

Most 660nm LEDs run at 700mA and ~2.2v-2.4v drop so they are actually more like 1.5W. They are still called 3W because of marketing. Long explanation but essentially efficiency increases have meant that you get the same RF output from less power, so an older 3W LED may have consumed 3W but now the same power output can be done with less power usage, so 3W remains the nomenclature.

So ignore the fact that they only consume 1.5-2W of power and just consider them 3W for purposes of comparing with fluorescent sources.

I prefer Philips from Steve's LEDs because you know what you get, and you get the best output, proper spectrum, and they are all alike. Everything else including rapid LED is grab bag. Chinese knock-offs are a waste IMO.

Thanx floyd now i understand it.
    I go look for de Philips led (Philips is one of the biggest dutch company's) its origanaly lokathed in the city Eindhoven that is where doompie lives.

Greetings
    Eric Jan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information