+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it ok if...

Is it ok if...

For simplicity sake, I'd like to oversize my screens...if at least a portion of the screen is lit correctly, does it matter that the rest of the screen is under lit/not lit?

I have dual overflows with each draining 350gph. 350gph/35gph recommended flow = 10+ inches (width) of screen I could run. All I really need are two 6x6 screens. I plan to run 20W CFL on each side of both screens (40W/screen).

Since its just easier to put a 10 inch screen in there rather than adjust plumbing so I only have flow of 210gph (6inx35pgh), can I just put a 10x10 inch screen in? Instead of going smaller, like a 10x6, I think it needs to be at least 10 if not 12inches so the screen touches the top of the water in my sump.

Obviously the screen is way bigger than needed, but if there is sufficient wattage on a 6x6 section, does it matter?

Administrator
    It really depends on how the builder builds it. It the 6X6 had all the light focused tightly on the screens, then they would grow thick green. With the same light, 10X10 will have dark edges which spread the growth any may prevent much green from growing in the middle.

However if the original 6X6 was losing light off the sides because of improper reflectors, then the 10X10 might catch that light and make up for it.

You can try both: size it for 10, and cut it down to 6 and tape up the rest of the slot.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information