+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaned scrubber.....cloudy water now

Cleaned scrubber.....cloudy water now

I have a new 135g system with just 3 small fish and a coupe of frags. I cleaned my scrubber for the first time a week and a half ago(it had been running for a month). As soon as I put it back inline, the water started getting cloudy.

I cleaned the scrubber with the the sharp side of a knife since I wasn't getting any growth to come off with just my fingers.There was still plenty left on the screen after the scraping. Has this happened to anyone before?

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Dixon View Post
    I have a new 135g system with just 3 small fish and a coupe of frags. I cleaned my scrubber for the first time a week and a half ago(it had been running for a month). As soon as I put it back inline, the water started getting cloudy.

I cleaned the scrubber with the the sharp side of a knife since I wasn't getting any growth to come off with just my fingers.There was still plenty left on the screen after the scraping. Has this happened to anyone before?
    Pretty normal, in my experience, and it consists of algal cells, biofilm, detritus, etc. Depending upon how well you rinse the screen, you can have differing degrees of cloudiness. I try to rinse thoroughly every time I scrape my screen.

I put a filter sock on and it turned green so must be algal cells.

Do you scrape the gha off with your fingers or some tool?

I didn't rinse the screen so I'll def do that next time.

Banned
    Scrape the screen under running tap water. ALWAYS rinse the screen afterwards by rubbing it with your fingers under running tap water. No need for a knife, just a plastic scraper or credit card will do fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information