+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PAR38 LED spotlights?

PAR38 LED spotlights?

Was looking at some of the ~3000K (I think 24w) PAR38 spotlights at Lowe's and Home Depot earlier today and was wondering if anyone was using them? I was considering potentially replacing the current 40w lamps I have on my screen now which work well for me, but don't last long and are prone to moisture damage. That would also do away with the bulky reflectors, allowing a lot more room in my sump. I glanced at the luminosity and found that they are a good bit dimmer in overall output, but they are a much more focused light source. So, for those that have used them, are they worth it, do they last a good while and are the growth results reasonably comparable? If not, what are good, reasonably affordable alternatives (that don't involved DIY, heatsinks, etc.). I don't have the time to devote to DIY at the moment, as it would otherwise be a viable option.

Oh, and a disclaimer: pease excuse any ignorance on my part about LEDs in advance, as I've honestly never worked with LEDs directly until now.

Thanks

Administrator
    Some people have use LED spotlights, at a distance. Depends on the focus.

Don't know what the optics are. It is a flood light, not a spotlight--that was my mistake. Given that, the angle should be wider. Here are the exact lamps here: http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ecosmar...specifications

Banned
    Skip the flood lights, go with a 'Grow Light'. Search Amazon for 'LED PAR38 grow light'. I had high hopes for the ones I bought but honestly they don't work nearly as well as I was hoping they would so I can't recommend them. They were the 168 LED x .06w with red/blue LEDs.

The problem with PAR38 bulbs, any of them, is they all come with optics of some type, which means you have to pull the lights away from the screen quite a bit, 12" on each side from my testing. If you can get one without optics or at the tightest, 120 degree, they would probably work much better for ATS use. Until then, the DIY route is still the best route for many obvious reasons (distance/spacing/wattage/shape/etc).

If you order the right parts, you can slap together a DIY LED light in 5 minutes with no experience (using solderless options). You have been using the 'I am clueless about LED' excuse for years now.. isn't it finally time to let go of the fear and jump in the pool?

Strip of this type of heatsink, little epoxy with some solderless LEDs and a driver and a can of 'LED Seal' to protect them and your all set.
    http://www.rapidled.com/drilled-tapped-1/

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information