+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gguertin 180 l4 waterfall scrubber

gguertin 180 l4 waterfall scrubber

Traveling for work but took a few pictures and wanted to start a thread. I have a 180 mixed reef with only 3 fish to start getting ready to add more but im already seeing algae in my display. Tank has been running for 40 days or so. Getting good growth on the scrubber with full flow out of the rio pump and 9 hours of straight light overnight. Please tell me any other info you need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-10 15.10.45.jpg‎
Views:	303
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	4057   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-10 15.41.00.jpg‎
Views:	294
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	4058  

Administrator
    Phosphate is going from the rocks to the scrubber.

So how do i get rid of the algae on the rocks then? Am i doing something wrong should i up my lights clean more often or less often?

Administrator
    It will go away.

Banned
    Make sure that you clean the slot every week no matter what, and then scrub the top inch of the screen until there is no algae at all on it. This will keep the flow as good as it can me.

Is that relatively new rock, or was it transferred from an existing system? I can't recall what you told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    Make sure that you clean the slot every week no matter what, and then scrub the top inch of the screen until there is no algae at all on it. This will keep the flow as good as it can me.

Is that relatively new rock, or was it transferred from an existing system? I can't recall what you told me.
    His rock was acid bathed after a really bad cyano outbreak.

Just curious how to know if the algae is leaching out of the rock or from somewhere else. If this is true it is what I would hope and the scrubber should take care of this but here are my concerns

1. I dried my rock out
    2. I bleached and acid bathed the rock

Bud I have cleaned the pipe every week with the harvest and use the toothbrush to clean the top of the screen.

Administrator
    Drying and bleaching and acid does not do anything; it just kills the organism in and on the rock. All the carbon and phosphate is still in the rock, it's just dead. As the scrubber grows, the phosphate will go from the rock to to the water, and this will grow algae again on the rock until the phosphate is out of the rock.

It would have been quicker to just use a scrubber first, without having to dry and bleach and acid the rock. This way you also get to keep all the life/pods/worms etc in the rock, which are all now dead.

Banned
    I'm calling BS on that. That is such a load of bunk. Countless people have acid bathed rocks to get them back to fully dead rock. I'm talking about soaking in Muriatic Acid (Hydrochloric, from a pool supply store). Sometimes it takes many treatments and powerwashing. Sometimes it takes an additional soak in vinegar and more powerwashing, etc. But throwing out a blanket statement that it doesn't do anything is just ludicrous.

Anyone who has watched enough Law & Order can tell you that you can dissolve a human body, bones and all, in hydrochloric acid. I think it can easily dissolve organisms on rock. In fact, if you let it soak long enough, it will actually start to dissolve the rock, depending on what type it is. So you are way, way off here.

Putting a scrubber on the tank full of nasty rock would take months, maybe even a year or longer, to leech all the nutrients out. Yes you destroy all life with the acid bath, but mix that rock in with good cured live rock or bust up some LR into pieces and sprinkle it on the dead rock and you will have decent live rock relatively quickly. Either way, it will take time, so it is really a matter of preference which path you want to take. There are advantages and disadvantages to each method.

I think this just may be a case of not enough acid cleaning, so you probably have some leftover stuff bound in the rocks, which will leech out, but will not take as long as if you didn't acid bath them. Also, it could be the result of the rock 'cooking' in the tank, meaning that it is getting re-colonized, and there is basically a cycle happening within the rock that is causing a rather dynamic situation, and algae tends to 'take advantage' of dynamic situations. Once the rock has stabilized, the algae will likely not be a problem. At least that is my take on it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post
    Bud I have cleaned the pipe every week with the harvest and use the toothbrush to clean the top of the screen.
    Use the brush with the stiff black bristles to clean the top inch of the screen. Scrub it hard. I use that brush on the slot as well. I find that I only use the toothbrush on the screen after scraping, and very lightly to get the loose algae off. Sometimes I use it to scrub the slot pipe, but I usually use the stiff brush.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information