+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plans: 110 sq in acrylic

Administrator

Plans: 110 sq in acrylic

Many folks have asked about plans for my scrubber, so here are some:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/110bigger.jpg

Re: Plans: 110 sq in acrylic

Hey Santa Monica,

What would you recommend if I need a "strong" filtering for a 90 gallon? Should I add another scrubber instead of the one piece?

Thanks.

Paul

Administrator

Well since you have these plans now, you could just use two of them, and alternate the cleanings. It would be almost 200W of lighting... no nutrients would survive

Thanks SM .... looking forward to the new plans x 2 ... :mrgreen: !!!

Paul

Hi Santa Monica

First of all thankyou for reinvigorating the turf scrubber and bringing it to reef keepers attention, I wholeheartedly and open mindedly welcome such innovations that lead to a more natural level of marine system maintenance and most of all the better quality of health for the marine organisms/animals in our care.

I am soon getting back into reef keeping after 4 years absence from a mud based system growing macro algae. The turf srubbing system goes one better and undelines my reluctance to use skimmers as I had always known that they suck out food, preventing a more natural system to evolve with greater species proliferation eg fanworms.

Im presently at the planning stage and have one question for you, The acrylic box you presently use on your own system, which seems pretty much the same as the outline plans above? is as my own design reguirement but is it possible to set it up remotely?

My idea is to set the box up in a cupboard approximately 20ft away in another room, drawing water from the sump and returning it to the sump. The bit I have less understanding of is how to pump or gravity feed the outgoing water back to the sump in combination with the incoming water?

The proposed water volume (not inc.sump) is about 300 us gallons after displacement.

Please let me know your thoughts on how to achieve this. Also, as t5 strip light set ups generally come in 24" or 36" lengh, does this mean greater pumping capacity than normal to push water through 36" of pipe as this would mean using a narrower sreen section?

Dan

Administrator

Easily done. It's simply a matter of "head loss" from pumping up. For a 24" screen, the Eheim 1262 should be more than enough, even if you set the scrubber up 5 feet. You'll need a good bulkhead to drain out of the scrubber, and flow back to your sump. Use 2" tube for the drain, and 1" tube for the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Easily done. It's simply a matter of "head loss" from pumping up. For a 24" screen, the Eheim 1262 should be more than enough, even if you set the scrubber up 5 feet. You'll need a good bulkhead to drain out of the scrubber, and flow back to your sump. Use 2" tube for the drain, and 1" tube for the feed.
    i have 2 quite one 600 and i will be useing x2 32mm pipes and drain pipe is x2 32mm is that ok as the pumps are 1meter from the sump

Administrator

If all the water is draining down 2 of those tubes, it should be ok. One would not be enough.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information