+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why cant I have zoanthids ?

Oh yes - I have todstoool. Even two. Its the only soft coral that grows nicely and split-ted in to two.

Its funny how people are thinking simultaneously. I cant sleep last night for couple hours and was thinking different thoughts. The one regarding my tank was exactly towards my todstools.

I start feeling like I havent done my homework at early stages of reefin ? Leathers are no-no in mixed ?

toadstool leathers can be in the same tank with Xenias, I have a big one in with mine with no problems.

Of course, they are at 10 inches apart.

Banned
    I have a ton of neon green toadstool leathers in my 60G. My leathers frag themselves weekly as well, and I never have problems growing other corals in the same tank, and I don't run carbon.

Also the Sarcophyton corals tend to produce a lot of toxic compounds compared to other leathers. They are toxic toward other corals due to their release of terpenes (poisons used to ward off encroaching corals). With the production of toxins and the delicate nature of its flesh, care must be taken when handling this species.
    They have been known to harm some stony coral species of Acropora like the Staghorn Acropora A. formosa, some species of Porites like P andrewsii, as well as the death of Catalaphyllia, Euphyllia, and Plerogyra species.
    I run carbon in a bag placed in high stream. Can it be different thing ? My Sarcophytons are light pink color. I believe its Sarcophyton glaucum.

Banned
    Could be a load of things, it may also be giving you alien screen growth !

http://www.jlakes.org/web/Allelopath...s-CRPS2003.pdf

Allelochemical interference of macroalgae with microalgae has long been known (Shapiro, 1957; McLachlan and Craigie, 1964; Sieburth, 1968
    Soft corals (e.g., Sinulariaflexibilis, Lobophytum hedleyi) inhibited growth and produced tissue ne- crosis in neighboring scleractinian corals due to ihe exudation of inhibitory terpenes (Aceret et al., 1995). The competition for space arnong some scleractinian corals seems to depend On allelopaihy. Lipophilic extracts containing indole alkaloids isolated from Tubastrea faulkneri inhibited other scleractinians (Koh and Sweatman, 2000
    However, often corals are target and not donor organisms, that is, they are susceptible to (inhibitory) allelochemicals released by co-occurring algae (McCook et al., 2001). Algae exerted allelopathic effects on both soft (de Nys et al., 1991) and hard corals (Littler and Littler, 1997

Got rid of most of tostools yesterday. Only one small splited baby left. Can regrow colony if reason will be different.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information