+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FW Observations

FW Observations

So I have had excellent results with my algae scrubbers on FW tanks keeping my nitrates down between water changes but I noticed something recently that I'm not a fan of. I setup a new tank a week or so ago and I noticed a big difference in the color of the water. It appears that the FW algae leaches green into the water over time. I clean my scrubber weekly with significant growth each week. Aside from cleaning this thing every 2 days can any of you come up with any other ideas??? I was thinking about getting a diatom filter to clear the water once in a while.

Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Administrator
    Green would probably be broken algal strands. Maybe you can clean before they break off.

Of course, you don't need food particles in FW, so you can clean the water if you want.

Banned
    I recall seeing another FW thread where they put a filter sock on the outflow of the scrubber and it turned green rather quickly. Perhaps you are on to something! Adding a filter sock at the outflow might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
    I recall seeing another FW thread where they put a filter sock on the outflow of the scrubber and it turned green rather quickly. Perhaps you are on to something! Adding a filter sock at the outflow might be the way to go.
    I have a filter sock on my L2s, but the L4 with the outflow restriction setup I'd have to use a 7" sock to get around it. I'm thinking we will need to talk about you making me a mounting bracket. Maybe the same time as the tube/screen extention

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information