+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: scrubber dying

Banned

scrubber dying

So check it out guys.. I used to dose vinegar when I was running scrubber only and worked ok.

I started dosing again with skimmer on this time ans skimmer is producing double, and algae is turning white, dying. I think the increased bacteria population is taking care of nutrients, not leaving anything for the algae. Zeo style, kinda.

Thoughts?

Banned
    That's just odd. One of my customers is doing rather heavy carbon dosing and still gets enough growth to clean every 5 days. Not vinegar though. Pretty sure he's skimming too.

Mine hasn't died with vinegar dosing with a skimmer, but has almost stopped growing.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganAtlanta View Post
    Mine hasn't died with vinegar dosing with a skimmer, but has almost stopped growing.
    Me too, probably cause he has low PO4 or NO3 ???

NO3 should has a bit for start. do you feeding fish?

About 2 cubes a day. Scrubber grew well before the skimmer and vinegar, but couldn't out compete cyano in the display for some reason. The combo of skimmer, vinegar and scrubber seems to be doing a good job keeping the cyano at bay, but now I only get a handful of algae every two weeks rather than several handfuls every 10 days.

Banned
    Yup, same here.. cyano died within 48hrs of connecting skimmer. Scrubber was still growing till I added vinegar. I think tank shifted a bit from algae as primary filtration to bacterial. The bacteria has the n and p undetectable not leaving much for the scrubber. Thats my theory at least.

Banned
    Have you considered allelopathy?

Banned
    What did you call me??!!!

You looking for trouble?.. lol

Banned
    I am no longer completely buying into the idea that there is a "battle" between bacterial based filtration (carbon dosing) and algal based filtration. I am putting it back into the "unknown" category. I have been seeing evidence that they can indeed work together. I think it may have a lot to do with the particular implementation of carbon dosing that is does carbon dosing as a category of filtration.

It may be that the source of the carbon is what causes algal filtration to shift effectiveness, rather than the bacterial population that the carbon source is feeding.

I have more than one customer who is carbon dosing heavily and getting massive algal growth. One is running biopellets and the other is running multiple methodologies on multiple tanks.

Administrator
    Cleared up cyano on the sand is just due to skimmer removing the tiny food particles which would otherwise settle on the sand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information