+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: scrubber dying

Banned
    Extra speed is not bad. Gravity controls that, unless the algae growth is thicker, then other factors come into play.

Better mention that the friction/turbulence will affect the speed more, with less volume of water ie thinner flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Garf View Post
    Extra speed is not bad. Gravity controls that, unless the algae growth is thicker, then other factors come into play.

Better mention that the friction/turbulence will affect the speed more, with less volume of water ie thinner flow.
    but if i see, if screen a lot of algaes attached the speed going down
    need scrubb or need more power to flow the water.

Banned
    Right. When you get thicker growth, then higher flow is needed. Then, with higher flow, you get thicker growth. Is it the chicken or the egg that came first???!!!

Not hi jaking just showing that this method works. If some of you remember what my tank looked like you guys know that I had massive hair algae problems some how my tank couldn't handle a scrubber only set up don't know why. Well I decided to change things and started running full dose of dr Tim's np pearls bio pellets and added an over rated cone skimmer and the tank began to look a little better then I added my L2 scrubber around the 10th of march and the first week it didn't grow anything on it not even a brown spot then the second week it grew green algae only on the side not in the center on the 3rd week it started growing full and now it's growing massive green hair algae and this is in conjunction of enough bio pellets for a 300 gallon system. It took 4 weeks to kill all the algae in my tank. Also all my sps corals are doing wonderfull.

Banned
    How do you measure it?

Banned
    In side the mat of algae growth, you can't. There maybe some tell tale signs though, such as "Bubbly Growth" which would indicate to me a serious gas exchange problem.

My one week growth with full dose of bio pellets so I don't see how yours is dying
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	4251

Banned
    Mine died because I upped the hours to 12.. I went back to 9 and it was growing fine...

awesome growth btw... nori for dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by RkyRickstr View Post
    Mine died because I upped the hours to 12.. I went back to 9 and it was growing fine...

awesome growth btw... nori for dinner?
    Weird cause I'm running my L2 16 hrs. How big is your tank and how many fish you got. I got a 185 gallon plus sump and I have 22 fish a 3 inch hippo, 4 inch yellow tang 3 inch sailfin 6 inch foxface 3 inch coral beauty adult mated pair black and white clowns the femail is about 3 inches tread fin anthias trio, mandarin goby, springeri dotty back, Midas Blenny, 3 springer damsel, 4 green chromis, black and white and orange and white clown pair plus all my corals and shrimps and cuc. Maybe that's why mine is still going since I have a heavy bio load plus I feed 4x a day pellets plus two cubes of frozen food.

Banned
    Everyone's tank is different, so what works for one may not work at all for another. Feeding, filtration diversity, lighting, flow, livestock, tank longevity, way too many factors to consider. You just have to adjust things until they work right for you.

Rky's scrubber going white might just have been due to a change in the way that was done, increasing the light period and adding carbon dosing at the same time just threw it off balance enough for the screen to react quickly. Not sure I could recall someone else ever having a similar issue. Usually changes like that are more gradual, so I would think it might be hard to even duplicate on purpose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information