+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IMMEDIATE CALL TO ACTION

Banned

IMMEDIATE CALL TO ACTION

THIS IS IMPORTANT. WE ALL NEED TO COMMENT ON THIS RIGHT NOW!!!

http://www.masna.org/Blog/tabid/430/...ing-today.aspx

http://www.masna.org/Blog/tabid/430/...le-corals.aspx

http://www.masna.org/Portals/0/Blog/...sting%20v3.pdf

This bill/legislation or whatever it is basically would outlaw the keeping, selling, or trading of any stony coral.

You need to submit your comment on this form, ASAP - April 5th is the deadline

http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitC...2010-0036-0469

This thing would classify most stony corals (pretty much all, because what DNR guy is going to know what acropora is what, really?) as endangered species. This is all based on very poor studies, specifically chosen because they are poor so that their conclusions can be drawn.

POST COMMENTS IMMEDIATELY. THIS EFFORT IS NOT BASED ON SUFFICIENT DATA. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY DECIMATE THIS HOBBY. WE COULD PRETTY MUCH ALL BE DEEMED CRIMINALS FOR OWNING SPS CORALS

I submitted this:

This proposed action is not based on sufficient data. There is no real effective way for someone without a degree in marine biology and decades of experience to tell one coral species from another. this action could potentially shut down an entire industry, full of hobbyists with love for the ocean and reefs. This action could potentially criminalize hundreds of thousands of hobbyists.

I am a member of a statewide reef keeping hobbyist club. We all endeavor to propagate and maintain as many coral species as possible. It is entirely possible that, if some species becomes extinct in the wild due to climate change factors or for any other reason, the only surviving species would be captive held and propagated coral colonies. It is entirely possible that this action could prevent the preservation of literally thousands of coral species. Most dedicated reef hobbyists pride themselves on maintaining pristine water conditions to maximize coral growth, then when their tanks get overgrown, they share these with others. Why on earth would one want to decimate the very industry that may very well someday be the last bastion of safety for the living reefs of the world?

This proposed action is full of disregard for the facts, and should not even be considered.

I fully support the view of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA) with respect to their letter dated April 4, 2013 with regard to this matter.

I think it trades in coral should be banned, SPS corals like Staghorn Acroporas are nearly extinct in the wild: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staghorn_coral

other sps corals will go the same way if not protected! Im afraid Nature is more important than the "hobby"!!

Administrator
    Corals are killed by fishing trawlers, and water acidification, and are saved by hobbyists.

Banned
    Exactly. The impact of the hobby on the decline of coral colonies around the world is fractional compared to environmental factors, regardless of may be causing that.

Criminalizing hobbyists is not the answer. The hobbyist may be the only ones who are able to openly propagate and potentially re-introduce species after the go extinct in the wild.

Bottom line is that captively raised / maricultured species should not ever be illegal. It should actually be encouraged.

One person posted on another site that NOAA said it would still be legal to own, give away, and transport species on the list. Another said you could go to jail for taking a frag out of the water (of your own tank).

But one thing you can bet on is that draconian legislation like this will be used to make examples of individuals & groups, and events, eventually. I have a fish & wildlife guy in our club, and a teacher who used to work at the zoo and got called in to the airport when the DNR guys needed an ID. Between the two of them I can tell you that the dept of F&W can go into your house and take everything aquarium related that you own if they want to, the second someone reports to them that you are keeping a protected species. And they will have the power of the federal government on their side - you will never see any of it again. Try and resists, it's cuffs and jail for you. That is a fact.

This must be stopped, in it's tracks, hard. I got a legal interpretation - not a NOAA public service announcement - and the above is a real possibility for all of us.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Widow View Post
    I think it trades in coral should be banned, SPS corals like Staghorn Acroporas are nearly extinct in the wild: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staghorn_coral

other sps corals will go the same way if not protected! Im afraid Nature is more important than the "hobby"!!
    Ummm?? http://www.coralrestoration.org/

Thanks to humans, the Staghorn acro, which was nearly wiped out by nature (massive sea urchin disease/die off was one major factor), that coral is now on the rebound. What was your point again?

Banned
    Posted on another thread:

Endangered Species Program | Permits | Frequently Asked Questions

For endangered species, permits may be issued for scientific research, enhancement of propagation or survival, and taking that is incidental to an otherwise lawful activity.

For threatened species, permits also may be issued for zoological, horticultural, or botanical exhibition; educational use; and special purposes consistent with the ESA.

A person registered with the FWS may obtain a captive-bred wildlife permit to buy and sell within the United States live, non-native endangered or threatened animals that were captive born in the United States for enhancement of species propagation, provided the other person in the transaction is registered for the same species. A separate permit is needed to import or export such species. Captive-bred wildlife permits are not issued to keep or breed endangered or threatened animals as pets. Using protected species as pets is not consistent with the purposes of the ESA, which is aimed at conservation of the species and recovery of wild populations.
    I'm just some hick from the sticks in Texas but it doesn't sound very promising to me and I definitely don't trust your source at NOAA (is this person the final decision maker on rules & regs?)....Lets face it - its a hobby they are pets.. yes there are a lot of us trying to captively propagate them to reduce the pressures on wild specimens, maybe trying to make a buck or two or at least cover costs... But they are pets. Nothing in the above FAQ will allow for permitting to the hobby IMO.
    Nailed it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information